Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dealing with oversupply...

Default Dealing with oversupply...

In the beginning, when breastfeeding so often, does every woman experience oversupply?

How does one control it, if it does occur?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Dealing with oversupply...

I dealt with oversupply off and on throughout my nursing relationship with my DS. If I was extremely uncomfortable (even in the beginning), I pumped off just enough to be comfortable (maybe an ounce on each side). It was a huge help and RELIEF.

Lisa

yeah and I think most moms realy don't have that problem..
    if your nursing on demand and letting baby finish the breast he starts with and come off on his own.
    In the first few days when your milk comes in your going to get engoarged but nursing as much as baby is willing will help..
    that and you can try reverce pressure softing..
    heres a link... I wish I would have known about it with my dd, I had a c-section with her and was just full of iv fluids..
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

some newborns want to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours and thats normal for them. This keeps you from getting uncomfortable
    heres a good link to read.....
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    yeah and I think most moms realy don't have that problem..
    if your nursing on demand and letting baby finish the breast he starts with and come off on his own.
    In the first few days when your milk comes in your going to get engoarged but nursing as much as baby is willing will help..
    that and you can try reverce pressure softing..
    heres a link... I wish I would have known about it with my dd, I had a c-section with her and was just full of iv fluids..
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

some newborns want to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours and thats normal for them. This keeps you from getting uncomfortable
    heres a good link to read.....
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    Very helpful..thank you! I especially will make sure to finish one breast before offering the second, since there seems to be a pattern with a number of minutes and oversupply.

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

get some local help linned up so that you'll have somebody you know to call when you baby is born if you run into trouble!
    They can give you the confidence to tell a doctor or nurse were to go!

I never got engorged, not once. I definetely produced enough milk though because my son never lost weight. I nursed constantly though which is what he wanted so I think that helped prevent engorgement. I think every woman is different.

You must be getting so excited. You get to meet your little one soon!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    get some local help linned up so that you'll have somebody you know to call when you baby is born if you run into trouble!
    They can give you the confidence to tell a doctor or nurse were to go!
    I have a few numbers for women I've met at the LLG working mom meetings...I'm so glad I've met them...and very glad for women like you on these forums. I honestly would been so scared going into breastfeeding had I not signed up with these boards when I did!

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by lionsheart View Post
    I never got engorged, not once. I definetely produced enough milk though because my son never lost weight. I nursed constantly though which is what he wanted so I think that helped prevent engorgement. I think every woman is different.

You must be getting so excited. You get to meet your little one soon!
    I am getting excited...I can't believe my due date is just 2 weeks away...although I'm not holding my breath, just in case I'm late.

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I cann't wait to hear about how things go with the birth and the 1st few days. Your going to make a great mom!