Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it the same amount? (pumped/nursed)

Default Is it the same amount? (pumped/nursed)

I am pumping/bottle feeding every other feeding (for various reasons... not really the point of this thread so I won't go into all that), and nursing at the others.

When I pump, I get about an ounce per hour that has passed since my last pumping. For example, if I pump at 7 a.m. and again at 9 a.m., I get only 2 ounces total (from both sides). If I pump at noon and again at 4 p.m., I get 4 ounces total.

What I'm wondering is, is this a good indicator of how much my baby is getting when he nurses? He nurses on one side til he refuses any more, then after some coaching he'll nurse on the opposite side for maybe 5-10 minutes. He doesn't particularly enjoy nursing it seems, and neither do I, but we are doing it about 4 or 5 times in a 24-hour period. He has bottles of pumped milk, formula, or a combination of the two, at the other feedings.

He seems to be full/content for about an hour after nursing, then is STARVING again (rooting, sucking his hands, frantic-hungry cry), so this is why I'm concerned.

Default Re: Is it the same amount? (pumped/nursed)

What you pump is usually not even close to what your baby gets when s/he nurses... babies are much more efficient than even the best pump an emptying the breast, so generally babies get more than what you can pump. The best indicator of whether or not your baby is getting enough is the number of wet and dirty diapers...

Default Re: Is it the same amount? (pumped/nursed)

ITA! Baby is waaaay more efficient than the pump.

I don't know how old your baby is, but the above may be normal for YOUR baby. Look at his output and growth...that will tell you if he is getting enough. Your pumping output has little to do with your milk production.