Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hind milk

Question Hind milk

How long does it normally take a good nursing LO to get to the hind milk? TIA.

Default Re: Hind milk

I've heard different things - it totally depends on how efficient your lo is. I would imagine a very small percentage of it is there from the start, and the % of hind milk increses the longer your lo is at the breast. After 15 mins it should be mostly hind milk.

i think it must be different for every one... my dd (now 3 months) never nurses longer than 15min, and she must be getting enough hindmilk since shes not lacking on the mommy milk rolls.... but i dont know for sure...
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LindusandGrace View Post
    i think it must be different for every one... my dd (now 3 months) never nurses longer than 15min, and she must be getting enough hindmilk since shes not lacking on the mommy milk rolls.... but i dont know for sure...
    You're right - I should not have set a time limit on it, as it is different for everyone. And, come to think of it, my son rarely nurses past 15 minutes and is growing like a champ too!

The fat content of your milk steadily increases as your LO empties your breast. Some babies do this in 10 minutes flat, some in a leisurely hour. This page on Kellymom explains very clearly what makes foremilk and hindmilk what they are and has a great analogy to help visualize what's going on in your amazing boobs!

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    The fat content of your milk steadily increases as your LO empties your breast. Some babies do this in 10 minutes flat, some in a leisurely hour. This page on Kellymom explains very clearly what makes foremilk and hindmilk what they are and has a great analogy to help visualize what's going on in your amazing boobs!

HTH
    That is amazing!

Thanks, ladies, for your replies. DS is an extremely efficient nurser and rarely nurses past 15 minutes. He is gaining weight like a champ so I guess he's getting what he needs.

My son is done in 3-5 minutes and eats on one side only. I keep telling the dr. I am worried, but he is gaining very well and has plenty of diapers each day. He must be a pro at what he does.