Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storage ?

Default Storage ?

Sometimes I wish there were a definite set rules for such things
    I asked my LC at the hospital how long could the fresh ebm be in the fridge before it can then be frozen and still be good. She said not more than 24hrs in the fridge then to freeze. (hope that makes sense)

when reading this article posted on another thread:
    http://askdrsears.com/html/2/T026900.asp#T026901
    I read: "Milk that has been kept in the refrigerator for eight days Transfer to storage in the freezer, or discard. Bacterial growth is not a problem, but milk sometimes picks up odors or flavors from the refrigerator or the container."

What are some thoughts on this? Now I am confused on how long I have. This is an issue for me because I am on call at work and may or maynot get called in. I would rather give ds fresh ebm but I dont want to waste it by keeping it in the fridge and then have to dump it if i do not work in the 8days after i pump :\ So I have been automatically freezing up to this point.
    Breastfed for 20months

Default Re: Storage ?

I'm not on call, but work only one day a week (I'm in healthcare.) I like for my ds to have fresh, but also like a good freezer stash. I always worry about things like me getting sick and having to wean or him weaning early/suddenly and if I've got a good freezer stash he can at least have that. I usually try to keep at least 4 ounces in the fridge, the rest goes to the freezer each week. But whatever is leftover on Sunday night goes straight to the freezer, no matter when I pumped it. I usually only pump on days that I work, but sometimes if I'm feeling engorged or if he didn't get me good and empty I'll go ahead and pump, so some weeks I freeze 8 to 10 ounces.

Hope that helps!

This link should give some guidance

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

I always freeze milk unless I know I will be using it in the next 24-48 hours. BUt I have left milk in the fridge for up to 3 days and then frozen. However, once I do thaw out the milk I always use it within 24 hours.

HTH

i keep fresh ebm in the fridge for a week before freezing it. i have never had any trouble with the milk going bad.

like olivia, i keep fresh ebm in the fridge for several days. if i feel that i have more than enough to last me through the week, i will freeze a bottle or two (i'm trying to rebuild my freezer stash after dumping out 24 bottles due to thrush ). sometimes, i put the freshly expressed milk directly into the freezer...both ways have worked for us.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Like PP I also wait a few days before I freeze the milk. Sometimes up to a week. But I always do a smell test before putting it in the freezer, just in case. I think the most important thing is using the milk within 24 hours of defrosting.