Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need to leave my baby - feeding questions

Default I need to leave my baby - feeding questions

When feeding my daughter this issue never came up before she was eating solids and using a cup. think I left her 3 times ever and she had food, so I'm unsure what is the best way to go ahead.

My son is 8 weeks old and always breastfed well. Next monday I have to leave him for approximatly an hour but as he has no routine and I have never paid attention to how far apart his feeds are I don't know for sure he won't need feeding. I am going to start keeping a note over the next days and prehaps I will be able to feed him right before and he'll be ok. but I need a back up incase. My daughter was intolerant to cows milk so I pumped for her for making food/cup so I have a pump but don't know whether to try a bottle or another method. I'm really worried about him getting confused or prefering the bottle or somehow being upset with me. It feels like I'm failing - silly I know there is no way I can take him with me and even if I could I wouldn't be able to feed him or pick him up which I think would be worse for both of us.

This may become a weekly thing (short trem) if I need to go back (which is likely) so I do need a relable solution. As he gets older he'll go longer between, take solids etc but what's for the best now?

Default Re: I need to leave my baby - feeding questions

I had to leave one of my sons for a few hours at a time from the time he was 8 weeks untill about 15.
    I just left a bottle of ebm with grandma, and hurried home.
    SOmetimes he would be just fine and not have needed to eat..
    if you try and feeding right before you leave he might be just fine and would not need to eat, if the care giver is willing to put him in a sling and walk around and keep moving I bet baby will go right to sleep.
    anyway you could take baby and caregiver with you? And then nurse right as soon as your done with your appointment?

his dad will be looking after him and yes they can be right outside. my pump expresses into a bottle so I bought some teats today and am going to try him in the morning as that is when he is most settled. If he totally won't accept it then I'll have time to give it a few more tries or come up with something else

haVE YOUR hubby try most babies will not take a bottle from mom they are too smart for that.

expressed 3oz this morning and tried a bottle. though he didn't get upset at first he just played with the teat for a while, bit it and moved it round his mouth for a about 5 minutes before deciding it was no good, give me boob! lol