Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: curious about tummy enzymes & colic

Default curious about tummy enzymes & colic

Just posted a reply on another thread but wanted to start a new one on this:

I read on another board that babies have problems digesting breastmilk/formula/solids until they get the proper enzymes in their tummies. Where do these enzymes come from? I have no idea, but they're apparently not born with them. I would LOVE to know how to help this process along. On the other board (mamasource), one person posted and said they used a portion of a full spectrum enzyme tablet (bought at the health food store), somehow gave it to their infant, and no tummy problems since then. I am too chicken to try it though... my ped would probably think I'm out to lunch but I will ask her tomorrow. Has anyone heard of this?

I know with my babe, she could not tolerate any chocolate via breastmilk until about two weeks ago. And then I had to build up her tolerance. Anyone observe the same sort of thing with off-limits foods in their milk over time?

I am so intrigued by the idea that digestion-related colic could be wiped out with the proper enzymes. About a week ago on NPR I heard a story that said scientists could not observe or gather info on enzymes in people's stomachs until just recently. I wonder if research on colic & enzymes in infants has been done... or maybe is in process...

Default Re: curious about tummy enzymes & colic

ive heard of giving the enzmes to older babies but not newborns....i don't know about doses...

heres a link from dr sears

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t020800.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t042000.asp

Thanks Andrea! From the first article, it sounds like science really is just branching into this area. I did not know that breastmilk contained some enzymes that help baby's digestive tract start up, though. Where the heck do the rest of the enzymes come from? I will try to go enlighten myself on webmd or somewhere...

I saw the enzymes at rite-aid today... I know you can get them at the health food store also.
    maybe some adult's don't have then either..
    I don't know if you do find something out do share.
    would it be something that your body made?

heres something I found on dr newmans site

On occasion giving the baby commercial lactase (the enzyme that metabolizes lactose), 2-4 drops before each feeding, relieves the symptoms. It is available without prescription, but fairly expensive, and works only occasionally.

Okay, I asked the ped yesterday why baby would get upset after I'd eaten chocolate when she was newborn, and not so much after she was about 3 months old. The ped said she gets gassy because she can't break down certain parts of the breastmilk and lacks enzymes in her stomach. So I asked where do the enzymes come from to break it down? She said they're secreted by the pancreas & gallbladder... perhaps elsewhere too I imagine.

I wonder why they don't start up when babe is born? An evolutionary fault? Or could it be kickstarted... I guess I'll have to wait & keep my ears open for some research study or something. Anyone, please post info if you have a lead on this. Thanks again Andrea!

This is really interesting about the lack of enzymes...my baby was the typical colicky baby until about 4 mos., at which point it started to get much better, and was great within a month or so. With my baby, I didn't notice that he was always in pain from gas...only sometimes, but he did always cry inconsoleably...I heard one explanation might be that some baby's nervous systems aren't totally mature and that's a cause...or part of a cause of colic too.

I think maybe my LO may have had both issues to deal with, but it certainly would've been nice if a doc. would've said, "you know, we can cure colic completely if you just give baby xyz enzymes from the local health food store". Instead of what I really got, "well, babies get overstimulated and can cry incocsoleably for hours in the evening...it's pretty normal." Crying for several hours a day every day for over 2 months says colic to me...not just overstimulation. I wonder just how much research doc.s are actually doing on the subject? Or do you think that ped.s are reluctant to diagnose colic, and so its still pretty hazy. My ped. didn't say it was colic until it was over at DS's well baby check...