Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are you comfortable side-lying & sleeping?

Default are you comfortable side-lying & sleeping?

I am so uncomfortable doing side-lying, not if it's just for a feeding, but I usually fall asleep this way with the baby on the breast. My arm closer to the bed is draped across the bed (where my husband's pillow used to be!) above baby's head. Then I wake up with a burning pain in a diagonal across my back, due to the arm being stretched out in that way. Unfortunately I am such a heavy sleeper, I only wake up when babe wants more food, not due to the pain, so I'm stuck feeding her again in the same position, only to fall asleep in the same position, ad infinitum.

The only other way I can figure to sleep is to put that arm parallel to my bod, between baby & me, but that's awkward b/c it's in the way of the boob latching area. My back also gets generally tired from side-lying all night. I have thought about sleeping on the couch w/ her but that's a bad idea - I am freaked out that she'll fall off. I guess I am too lazy to want to get up every 2-3 hours, feed and then lay her down again. And usually she won't go to sleep that way anyway... she still needs the breast & active sucking to fall asleep much of the time. Any ideas?

Default Re: are you comfortable side-lying & sleeping?

I sleep in the same position and sometimes find I get an achy shoulder. the only solution I have found is to lay baby on the arm as I would if I was standing holding him, so his head is in my elbow, iyswim? though that aches too after doing it a while.
    I have fallen asleep once or twice sat upright feeding while watching a film withmy OH but it does freak me out a bit, I worry I'll drop him

you could lay baby on your chest to feed but then she'll be on her tummy sleeping so not ideal either.

how about laying as you suggest with your arm parallel andlaying your baby on a folded blanket or simular so she'd be raised up over your arm, if you supported your breast she maybe able to latch on ok

I know what you mean. Sometimes my shoulder hurts from being hyperextended. I think it helps to put your arm down toward the top of baby's head as much as possible, moving baby down if necessary so you're kind of curling your body around baby. Also, try changing up the position of your arm by turning your palm up, down, or to the side and see if that helps. You can put a rolled up receiving blanket behind her back and a pillow behind yours for extra support. Another trick to help prevent back pain from side sleeping generally is to put a pillow between your legs to keep your hips/back properly aligned.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I have been thinking about posting the same question. I usually nurse with my lo in the crook of my arm like pp described and I wake up pretty stiff and sore. I change sides throughout the night but that doesn't help much b/c I have still been in one position for hours. I have had back problems in the past and am worried that this is aggravating them. I keep hoping that as he gets older he won't need to be right up on me all night or will be content laying with daddy for a little bit so I can sleep more comfortably. I guess right now I am happy getting any sleep though.

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

I know what you mean. I have found that even though I've "got" the side-lying position it's not exactly the most comfortable thing. Unfortunately.

I support DD's head in my upper arm, draping it downward against her body. I also stuff some blanket or pillow under that arm to support it. I also wedge a pillow behind my lower back to support my positioning. This system definitely makes it do-able, but I hear you about not being in love with it

This is pretty close to what I do:

HTH

It's actually my favorite position. I do it like the picture the pp posted. It can be uncomfortable though without back support so I like to do it on the couch during the day and at night I either have my husband lean against my back with his or I use a pillow for support.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Good ideas ladies! Especially the back-to-back support from hubby, and using another blanket under baby to raise her up a bit - both to be tried out tonight! Hopefully these great tips will also help other long-suffering moms! Thanks again.

I had a similar problem with side-lying. I have scoliosis which made it even worse. I go for "Feldenkrais" sessions and I mentioned it to my practitioner and in one session the problem went away. I highly recomend Feldenkrais especially to mom's with small children.

Here is a link:

http://www.feldenkrais.com/

Sheryl

Hi!
    I'm not suggesting you do it, but it worked for me on the couch. Yah I know they say don't do it, but i always had the BB on the outside never on the inside where i could crush him. I rolled up a blanket and wedged it behind his back so he couldn't roll off- never behind his head so he could pull off if he desired Then I tucked a cover under my side (over us both) and under his. I would put the bouncer near the couch too, if I thought I could sneak him there and get an hour or two of uninteruppted rest. It was a huge relief to lean back on the headboard of the couch. hth

I was super uncomfortable sidelying until i put a body pillow along my back and a rolled up receiving blanket along my lo's back. with the body pillow, i pulled the bottom part between my legs for extra support. now that my lo is almost 8 mo (my the time is flying) it is a little easier. another thing i do is get my husband to spoon me, then he is my support and i get to be close to him as well.
    good luck!