Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At work 4 hrs, one day/week - do I need to pump?

Default At work 4 hrs, one day/week - do I need to pump?

Hi,
    From tomorrow I will be away for one 4 hour period in the middle of the day for work, for one day of the week. I have no stock (I had the excess lipase and have only now come around to be bothered with scalding), so I will have enough for approx 1 and 1/2 feeds tomorrow. I am happy to pump for a few nights (ie the nights before and after I work) to keep up supply/provide milk for next week. Can I get away with not pumping at work (due to the difficuly in doing this and the fact I am only there for 4 hours anyway) without compromising my supply? (if I pump the nights before and after - I find I can get 3.5 ounces most nights around 10pm after she fed at 7pm). My daughter is 5.5 months old. I can come home with around 30 mins notice (she is with my mother in law at my house).
    Thanks!

Default Re: At work 4 hrs, one day/week - do I need to pump?

I don't think so - unless you want to b/c of engorgement. I occasionally go shopping for 4-5 hrs and my supply doesn't suffer. I don't think a 4 hr period one day per week is going to hurt.

I don't think it will hurt your supply, but you may feel a little engorged. This is a little out there- but sometimes when I can't pump at work I pump in the car either on the way there or on my way home. I have pumped driving down the road too- sometimes just enough to make myself comfortable again.

Thanks, I think I might take the pump the first couple of times just in case!

Just to share, I too am going back to work on this Saturday for a 4 hour shift. I specifically said I could only do 4 hour shifts so that I would not have to pump at work. I figure if I get up and ready, then nurse my lo, she would probably do okay to eat cereal when she wakes up with my hubby. I am hoping she does okay with her sippy cup and cereal because she doesn't take a bottle well. Good luck to us both.