Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which bottles are more like mom or best to use?

Default Which bottles are more like mom or best to use?

Hi, I am currently 7.5 months pregnant and starting to register for my baby shower (YEAH!) I plan on exclusivly nursing for at least the first month or two but would like to express milk and keep him on breast milk for as long as possible. I only plan on using the bottle when I am away or when my husband wants to take a little more active part in feeding. Now for the question part , which bottles are the best for a child who will be continuing nursing for the most part? I want nipples that aren't going to make him stop wanting on the breast. I dont know if what I am saying makes much sense, but any suggestions on which bottles (or anything a new breastfeeding mommy would need) to register for would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Default Re: Which bottles are more like mom or best to use?

I use the Avent bottles. My boys have never refused breast of bottle and never had nipple confussion. Also, one of the moms on here told me about the converter that you can use if you don't buy the Avent pump ( I use the PIS). It is awesome, I can pump right into those bottles!

One of my boys has had to take a pill with his BM from his first month on and he took the Avent bottles so easy. Some people complain about the nipple leaking. However, that's only when your either over or under twist it on the bottles. I only had that problem once and that is when I let DH put the bottle together. I guess he thought he needed to be hercules to tighten the nipple!

I hate to tell you this, but there's no "good" way to figure out what your LO will take! We used the Playtex premium system with our youngest, and he did fine for a while, then lost interest completely in an artificial nipple. We also tried other nipple styles, and Avent too, since our twins used the Avent system. He just never got the hang of it. Many of the brands can be hooked up directly to your pump so you don't have to pump then pour into another container to save it.

I will say, though, that I have heard great things about Avent, Dr. Brown's, and also the Playtex system. You may want to register only for a single bottle of each type (not a huge box) so that you can experiment to see what will work for your baby.

Lisa

Let's see... we've tried Avent, Playtex (several different nipples), Dr. Brown's, Second Nature, Breast Flow. So far, nothing has worked. I just ordered one of those strange-looking breast-like bottles from One Step Ahead - they are pricey! I think if I had introduced a bottle a little earlier we would have more success, though DD did take bottles great around 6 weeks for my MIL when we had a wedding to go to (she's now 4 months). We're still trying though! I agree with PP, register for one of a few different kinds of bottles, then you can try them all out. Good luck, and have fun registering!

ps. Another registering tip that I got - put a secondary car seat on your list (the one for after the baby grows out of the infant carrier).

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing you on the boards after your LO arrives I agree with PP, it really depends on the baby. You may have to try a few different kinds before settling on one that works. Nipple confusion can happen no matter what brand you use, so just be careful not to introduce the bottle too early (don't introduce it until BF is firmly established and your LO has developed a good latch), and you should be fine!

I've only had the occasion to use a bottle about 4 or 5 times, but DS does seem to like the Playtex Drop-in bottles (very handy because you throw away the liner when you're done and only have to wash the nipple - probably not cost effective if you use A LOT of bottles, but really nice and easy for occasional use).

HTH!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

bump

i agree with pp, only register for 1 of each bottle....
    my dd refuses the advent, gerber, dr browns, and the breastbottle. She will sometimes take the old kind of playtex nursers with the latex nipples but generally hates them all.
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Our LC recommended either the Gerber bottle with the slow flow nipple and the Second Nature. We have tried the second nature with success. It has lots of small holes in the nipple instead of one big one.

Good luck,
    Meredith

There's really not one bottle better than the other.... Different babies prefer different bottles for whatever reason.
    I registered for ONE bottle of each, Avent, Dr Brown's, Platex.
    I tried Avent first and my son didn't like it, then I tried Dr Brown's (WIDE NECK) and he liked it so I stoped experimenting.
    Just pick the ones with wide base nipples, and don't introduce it too early (i.e before 3 weeks).

It is just an experiment with babies to see which they will take. My ds liked the playtex vent-aire with the small nipple. I was going to use the same with my dd, but she didn't like those. We tried playtex drop-ins, avent, dr. brown's and finally ended up with the cheap Parent's Choice Nubby bottles from Wal-mart. Those are the ones she likes. So you just never know what your lo will want.

Good luck!!!