Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeling depressed

Unhappy feeling depressed

Hey everyone,
    Last weekend Samuel stopped nursing. He has asked for it a few times but is easily distracted or really is wanting something else; I tried to nurse him the first time he asked after about 5 days of nothing and it hurt so bad we had to stop. Anyway, I've been told that weaning can make some people depressed and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this. There are some other very upsetting circumstances in my life right now which is certainly not making this any easier, but any info shared is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: feeling depressed

No suggestion, just

Yeah, I got a little depressed when I weaned Makayla. I guess it was just that she didn't really need it anymore and was moving onto another phase of her life. I enjoyed the 27 months of BF'ing (mostly, we had our moments, LOL)...so it was hard to accept that my baby was no longer a baby.

It really helped me to really get involved with the things that she was doing as a "big girl" instead of focusing losing the "baby girl".

:

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    No suggestion, just
    and more

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Everytime I cut back onBFing i get a little depressed. I have even caught myself crying while feeding her. I keep focusing on the positve. She is growing independent and developing at an amazing pace. I know that i have given her a fantastic start and that our breast feeding will always be the foundation on which she will continue to grow. Oh and i hug her a lot more - it helps to get rid of the weaning blues.

I haven't weaned yet but we have definitely cut back on nursing and my supply has changed some as a result of that. Two weekends ago I had a rough time with that and was feeling just awful... anxious and crying a LOT. I have a history of depression, but hadn't had trouble with it in a while, so those depression-like feelings really scared me. My doctor shared that hormonal changes can feel exactly like depression, and now 2 weeks later my hormones have stabilized quite a bit and I feel tons better. Is there any way you can do some form of exercise to help feel better? I re-opened my ymca membership as a tool to help me feel better. Hang in there, we're all here for you!
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

The drop in hormones with weaning can be similar to the drop after childbirth. That coupled with the knowledge that your relationship is changing can be very hard. So definetely it can be depressing. I feel your pain. My son is slowly nursing less and less and sometimes it feels like I'm losing my baby. Intellectually I know he still needs me but my heart still hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindavall View Post
    Oh and i hug her a lot more - it helps to get rid of the weaning blues.
    Another week has gone by, and I notice that he's certainly cuddlier (that's a word, right?); with me, as well as with DH (which is new and very exciting for DH). He likes to snuggle and hug, which is making this easier. I'm starting to be ok with this...I'm still very sad and miss that part of our relationship, but it makes me feel better that it wasn't a traumatic thing - he was just done. I always hoped it would happen that way. I appreciate all the hugs and support; everyone else in my life is telling me congratulations and that's not really where I am. I'm glad to have people who understand. This is so bittersweet! He asked emphatically for it the other night, but in the end, snuggles were enough. There haven't been any tears over it from him, but I think I've shed more than enough for both of us.
    Thanks again for the support...and I'm glad to know I'm not crazy!

Unhappy Re: feeling depressed

I'm not sure what I am feeling right now. About two months ago I started having stabbing pain in my breasts. At first I thought it was a bad latch, but then realized it wasn't. The doctor decided it was thrush (over the phone) and prescribed diflucan for both of us. I have been through a course of it and still there is pain. The doctor suggested that maybe I was just "healing". That has been over two weeks. Now I am reading about vasospams. The point is that I have breastfed both my sons and now my daughter who is our last. I am tired of being in pain. Normally I would fight to the death and figure this out until it is resolved. But right now I find myself feeding her from the breast less and less because pumping doesn't hurt as much. I HATE PUMPING. And now she is getting at least one bottle of formula a day. I just don't know if this is the end or what and I don't want my memories of my last breastfeeding experience to be like this. No one around me seems to "get" it. They don't see the problem. I keep hearing "she is six months old...you can stop if you want"....or "you don't have a choice...you're in pain". I am feeling this as a loss. It feels like grief. But everyone treats me like I am nuts. I don't know what to do or feel.

You are not nuts! And I sympathize with your feelings of loss and grief. I don't have anything to say about the pain b/c I've never dealt with that, but know that you are supported here. We all understand. I hope someone with more experience here chimes in, but in the meantime...