Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Partial weaning?

Post Partial weaning?

My son will be 1 year next month. I work full time and pump, which I have had about enough of. I have no desire to wean my son, except from EBM. I was considering trying cows milk during the hours I'm not home (7 to 4). He eats everything that isn't nailed down, so nutrition isn't a concern. Will I dry up if I don't nurse him for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week? He still rolls over several times a night to eat (we co-sleep).

Default Re: Partial weaning?

I think not. A leader was just talking about this on Erin's thread. She daid that by A year your milk supply is well established and you can let go of the day pumping as long as you are comfortable. Like perhaps one at a time over a period so you don't get engorged? And then the transition into cow's milk could be gradual too?

Way too lazy for formula

Hello! I'm in the same boat as you (pump ) I started out with mixing cow's milk in w/ her bm I started at 1/4 then 1/2 then 3/4, and when I knew she could handle it I would only pump once in the morning and seperate for two bottles and when she was comfortable with that I dropped my second session for good and now while I'm gone She get's the one pump seperated I have yet to drop it but it hopefully be next week. But I do only nurse her when I am home and I seem well adjusted just a little full on moday but that's just another snack for her when I get home It took me about a month to get to this point but I didn't push it. Good Luck Hopefully you can understand

I nurse my two year old twice a day - before nap and first thing in the morning. She would nurse more but I... well I won't. I can still hear her chug away in the morning and I can still hand express. I'm quite sure that after a year of nursing, you are well established and will make milk as needed. And sometimes when not needed!

I think this might be similar to when babies start sleeping through the night. Somehow, our bodies regulate and still produce enough in the waking hours. It's just that your timeframe is in the waking hours and not at night. You should be fine.

Lisa

Thank you so much for all your imput. It's great to be able to talk to other bf Mom's without the pressure.

I am glad to hear that some of you are in the same boat as I. Did you feel guilty at all about cow's milk for your little one while you are at work? (lamandy_9)

Part of me feels guilty and that I'm being a little selfish . I just hate the stupid pump and it's not enjoyable when I am doing it at work. When I am with my son, I do completely enjoy bf.

Not that this would ever change what I do, but it's also annoying when one particular co-worker, who is an authority on everything, gives her ever important thoughts about breast feeding for too long and how not to join LLL because those people bf until their children are 5.

Imagine her face when I told her I was already in LLL, as well as many family members, and we were fortunate that all their children were able to wean before they went away to college. Give me a break! Sorry had to vent with that one!

I felt guilty and selfish at first and sometimes still do but it all fades away when I get home sit on the couch and she comes hauling all ends to me to nurse. so it's still there. But not the pump it's packed away and we are still very happy. good luck and sorry it took so long to get back.