Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions to stop biting...

Default Suggestions to stop biting...

Hey all,

I had a wonderful experience nursing my son Jack until he got teeth and began biting at 6mo. No matter what I did, he giggled! At the moment my daughter Charlotte is 9.5mo and has 4 teeth... she has bitten me only a few times and I have sternly told her "No biting Mommy" and she gets all upset gives me puppy dog eyes and goes back to nursing happily. I guess I am just nervous and want ALL of your suggestions for things I can do if she starts biting me more often! Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions to stop biting...

Hi Susan
    Welcome to the boards. I can tell that you enjoy nursing your daughter and want to continue but are also nervous about those sharp little teeth...Something you may find encouraging is that if a baby is actively nursing they can not bite you bc there tongue is in the way. Many moms find that if they go ahead and take them off when they are done they do not get bite? Also, having a finger ready to insert when you can see a bite coming also can help This will pass with time. Sounds like you are on the right track! aLLL the best! Brittan

My son bites alot. Never during our morning or night time feedings, just the ones during the day, while his is very awake. I think for me, I maybe offering my breast too much and this is becoming his way of saying no. During these times I watch him feed because when he gets ready to bit I can tell. He retracts his tounge and his jaw gets ridgid. When I see this, I take my finger and press against his cheek which inturn press between his lower and upper jaw. From there I quickly take my breast out.

I learned when I BF my first child to push his head into my breast. He would then open his mouth and I'd stop nursing. My daughter doesn't have teeth yet, but she tries to bite down and pull back her head Ouch!! When she does this I also just pull her in towards my breast, she opens her mouth and then I say "all done now".

Sheryl

I just read on another thread that you can hold the baby's nose for a second if he's biting down and it will force him to open his mouth. It seems cruel, but sometimes you have no choice!