Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ratio of solids to breastmilk at 11 mo?

Default Ratio of solids to breastmilk at 11 mo?

Ds is almost 11 mo and nures at least 10 times in 24 hrs, including druing the night (we co-sleep). He has recently upped his demand for solids. I would say he eats about 9-10 tablespoons of solids in an average day.

I have read that babies should be getting 75% of thier calories from breastmilk (kellymom) or 50% (Dr Sears) at 12 mo. I have also seen moms online say that thier baby was getting 95% from breastmilk at 12 mo. So, how the heck am I supposed to know how many calories he's getting from breastmilk or solids? How does anyone know?

I have no idea how much milk he takes at an average feeding, but just because he's nursing 10 times a day doens't mean those are all really small feeds, does it? These are feedings where I feel at least one letdown and hear him swallowing.

He makes about 4-6 wet diapers in 24 hours and has been drinking about 1 oz of water every day (from his sippy cup).

Is this ok? I guess I'm not too concerned about him weaning prematurely (it'd be pretty hard for him to drop 10 feedings all that rapidly). I just want to make sure that what he is doing is healthy.

What he eats for solids is usually something like this:

1-2 tablespoon meat (or egg yolk or beans)
    3-4 tablespoons fruit and veggies
    .5-1 tablespoon yogurt or cheese
    The rest is carbs: rice (often brown rice), crackers, bread (whole wheat), cereals, pasta

He gets no other milk, formula, or juice. I'm not all that happy about the bulk of his solids being carbs (almost none of that is baby cereal, btw), but that is what he prefers and also what is so non-messy so it's convenient for me). I also know the yogurt/cheese is not nessacary, but he really enjoys it so I let him have some because I figure it can't hurt.

Any input would be very much apprecated.

Default Re: Ratio of solids to breastmilk at 11 mo?

Follow your baby's cues. Don't worry about the numbers so much. It sounds like he's getting plenty of both.

juat want to echo the last persons reply.

follow your baby. My friends DS was still mostly breastfed at 18months when he suddenly started devouring food and hasn't stopped.

you sound like you're doing loads of great things

sally xxx

Meh. Yeah, I was just wondering how sites like kellymom.com and AsDrSears.com can give recomendations for things like "at 12 mo your baby should be getting 75% of his or her calories from breastmilk" when I have no idea how to gague that. It seems no one does! Oh well. I agree; I think he's doing just fine.

Here you go

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Babies tend to "top out" at about 32 oz a day of breastmilk (or formula) and then add solids. But remember, babies vary *widely* in their solid food habits, with some perfectly health and normal children not really beginning until 15 months or later. If your baby were *not* eating some solids by a year, I'd suggest you discuss the matter with a health care provider, but beyond that I would not be concerned. I certainly would not be calculating percentages in healthy, growing infant who is taking an interest in solids.