Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please offer advice for a friend....

Default Please offer advice for a friend....

See below for the email she just sent me...I don't want her to give up!

My breast are getting full and he's not draining them. I had a dentist appt today and left 3 ounces of breast milk in a bottle for Brian to give the baby and it took two separate feeding for the baby to drink most of it and he didn't finish it completely.

The doctor said that after four weeks nipple confusion is rare so I don't know what the hell is going on. Also, I doubt by giving the baby one to two bottles out of nine to 10 feeding will cause this confusion.

I wonder if I can maintain my milk supply by just pumping. I'm getting really frustrated. I just don't get why I'm having such a rough time at this. I swear my patience is getting tested.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Please offer advice for a friend....

Is the baby gaining well?
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

There's a few things that could be going on. I would encourage your friend to post directly so she can get her questions answered.

How old is her baby? Four weeks? I wouldn't say it's nipple confusion, but rather the fact that maybe her baby either needs to learn how to bottle-feed, or has developed a preference. As for not draining the breast, this can be due to several things.....too many to list.

It's not completely clear what her frustration is at this point. Again, is it possible for her to post directly?

Lisa

I agree encorage her to get on here, either that or call your local leader directly she can help sort out whats going on!

I'm afraid she's not one to visit boards, so I'm posting on her behalf.
    Her son is 12 weeks now and she been bottle feeding and nursing since the beginning. She also introduced a pacifer at about 3 weeks.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Would she call someone directly? We can offer information second hand but she might really like to talk to someone who will listen to her frustrations. Lots of what a Leader does on the phone is listen.
    You really want to help her, I can tell. It's hard to watch a friend struggle.
    Mary

I second (or third) the thought that she needs to call a leader or a certified lactation consultant asap.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on