Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids and day care?

Default solids and day care?

My LO will be turning 6 mo at the end of January so I'm beginning research on starting solids. So far, I really like the idea of using the baby-led approach. Our LO is on the small side so I'd prefer that he get most of his calories from breast milk for awhile and begin to experiment with food when he's ready.

I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences with starting solids with a LO in day care (at a day care center - 3 providers for at most 10 infants). The info I've read suggests introducing new foods early in the day so you can check for any reactions. If LO is going to have a reaction, I'd rather deal with it myself rather than having it happen at day care. Which means I'd only be introducing new foods on the weekends?

And has anyone done baby-led with a LO in a day care center? Looking at the shelves in the kitchen area - the older babies are on rice cereal and mush in jars. I'm not sure how comfortable the day care providers would be with doing baby-led, and I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with others besides me & DH doing baby-led.

Thanks -
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: solids and day care?

Than don't start it at day care. When we started we were just doing ONE thing ONCE a day. Have your food experimentation happen at home at dinner time. Then your LO will also begin to understand the "ritual" of meal time. Just keep sending the amount of milk needed to daycare and play w/ food at home. You'll find at some point...(For every one's child it's different) you'll look up and have a plethora of things you know your child likes and you feel confident can be eaten safely. When that happens, start packing them. Presliced if it's fruit. Other things like dry cereal and child size rice cakes can just go....You right, I wouldn't let the DCP start any kind of food regimen with your child. But when you feel confident giving instructions about what's ok and here's the quantity, I'm sure the center will be fine following parents instructions. That's what they are there to do!

Way too lazy for formula

I send food with dd to day care and the teachers there give her a breakfast and a lunch of fruit or veggies. I've found the teachers are pretty well versed on all methods of giving solids - they've been very helpful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I send food with dd to day care and the teachers there give her a breakfast and a lunch of fruit or veggies. I've found the teachers are pretty well versed on all methods of giving solids - they've been very helpful for me.
    Nissa - I'm curious ... how old was your DD when you started sending food to day care? How long had she been eating solids? Were you sending purees or cut up pieces of food?

Thanks!
    Lynn
    Lynn

We started cereal when dd was about 5-1/2 months. We didn't force it, just gave her some every few days to get her used to it. When she started day care in November, it was pretty traumatic for both of us, so we just took a break for a couple of weeks. So she was probably close to 7 months when I started sending food. I send everything...little pieces, Gerber purees, cereal. It does require a lot of communication between me and the teachers so I have to keep a log of what she eats so I'll know when she is starting new things and what to tell the teachers.

We started solids right around 6 months...but dh and I wanted the fun of experimenting for ourselves, not to mention the reasons you stated above. It would be fine to only introduce them to your son when you are with him, on weekends, and/or for breakfast/supper. Remember, baby doesn't know if its for breakfast or dinner, so apples for dinner and peas for breakfast is just fine!

We practiced babyled solids as much as was practical. I did make my own food for dd after month 7 to send with her to the sitter, and the sitter fed her. I made all kinds of foods, depending on the "flavor" of the week, and the sitter would feed her while dd played with some food. That is what she was comfortable with, and it was fine with me. We talked about never encouraging dd to eat more than she wanted...she doesn't play the train and plane games with her and never has. I have felt comfortable with our decision and method. Sometimes, like tonight, we had mashed potatoes. I put some in front of dd but she also likes to take bites from my fork, so I feed her bites. She is getting good at eating with a fork now too...I have never worried about giving her a fork, even though people look at me like i have lost my mind. She has never had an accident with it and we are supervising her with it at all times. Anyway...I gave you way more info than you asked for, didn't I? I hope you find something helpful in this ramble! I definitely like the child led concepts, and we haven't fed pureed foods since I found out about it. But I did use my blender to chop foods that I cooked...okay, rambling here. Take care!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I started sending solids to my daughter's daycare around 7-8 months. I think they thought I was starving her, LOL. We introduced finger foods at home before we sent them to daycare to make sure she was good at the self feeding and gum mashing. She gets mostly dry cereals and waffles now. She has a hard time with slippery foods but will self feed herself mashed veggies with her hands (e.g., a mashed baked potatoe, mashed butternut squash). Makes a fun mess. My daycare is very encouraging about allowing me to send in anything I want for self feeding, as they should be. GOOD LUCK.

Thanks for the responses so far! I've been somewhat frustrated that the solids resources I've been looking at have little to nothing to say about introducing solids with a baby in day care. I really want LO to enjoy solids and eat them at his own pace so one of my concerns that I'll need to talk to my day care providers about is making sure when the time comes that they offer food but never force him to eat or to finish all his food. The examples from you moms who have gone through this already are a HUGE help!

Thanks -
    Lynn
    Lynn