Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: time to breastfeed

Default time to breastfeed

alright my baby girl was born feb.22 2006. when we were at the hospital after she was born she had a problem with latching on. so after we were released from the hospital she didnt want to latch on still. well i was set on breastfeeding her! well up until yesterday i was pumping and giving it to her out of a bottle. well now finally she is latching on. btw im so proud of her and tell her. well i was wondering on how long she should be feeding for? she is feeding for 20-25min. every 2hours give or take. but in the process of feeding she falls asleep. i try wiggling her arms and feet or tickling her feet to get her to wake up. i guess i am just wondering if 20-25min. is "normal" for her to feed for. i do however try switching breasts and it works for awhile until she is asleep again and wont take it anymore.

thanks

Default Re: time to breastfeed

25 mins sounds good to me, they generally know what they need
    good for the two of you for working things out.
    when my girl was brand new and fell asleep i would gently tug on the areola and she would usually nurse a wee bit longer

The thing that amazes me so much about babies is that they know what they need...you'll know if she's not getting enough because she won't have a bunch of wet/poopy diapers...if her diapers are good and she's feeling good then chances are she is good Props to you for getting breastfeeding to work!!!!

Thumbs up Re: time to breastfeed

Congratulations to the two of you! Great job Mom! How long babies feed depends on the baby. Some are more efficient suckers than others. If she has enough wet/poopy diapers, is gaining weight, and seems content, then she is getting enough.

When my dd used to fall asleep or stop sucking, I would pump her arm up and down like a well. It seemed to work. It sounds like your dd is doing fine. Again, kudos to you for being persistent and making bf work!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

So long as she's having enough wet diapers, falling asleep at the breast is no problem at all! (Actually, that's exactly what's supposed to happen!)