Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing solids - need help

Default Refusing solids - need help

DD is 7 1/2 mo old and we started solids 2 days before she turned 6 mo old. In the begining was going well - she would show interest in eating and she would eat 1 oz of pureed food (we didn't do the baby-led). However, right now we are the point where all I get from her is tight-locked lips, and turning her head away whenever she sees the spoon. If we persist she starts crying.

These are the foods we have offered to her so far in different kinds of forms - pureed, sliced, diced (so she can feed herself): banana, apple, kiwi, pear, prunes, peaches, pineapple, avocado, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, squash, multigrain cereal, teething bisquits, and oatmeal. She would show some intrerest in a food, maybe eat it one day , and the next day totally refuse it. She did not even care for the teething bisquits, pretty much the only thing she really liked is chewing on a piece of bread crust (which I know she is not even supposed to because of the possibilities of wheat allergy!). She always sits with us while we are eating - she shows interest in the dinnerware/silverware but not in the food we are eating. I also leave pieces of fruits and veggies on her tray but she doesn't pay much attention to them either. She shows little or no interest in drinking water or juices.

So, any ideas what is going on? Is this a normal behavior? I am tired of listening to comments like 'You are spoiling her', 'She should be eating "real" food by now', etc.
    She is otherwise nursing/eating her milk well and gaining well. She is teething as well.
    I would appreciate any advice and suggestions you ladies might have
    Thanks,
    Borislava

Default Re: Refusing solids - need help

i wouldn't worry about her not wanting to eat solids if she's still nursing well and gaining weight. at this point, even if she is eating solids, it would be for fun and to to explore. just keep on re-introducing food to her every day or every few days and she'll bite! my son is almost 9 months and sometimes he eat and sometimes he doesn't.

My DS did the exact same thing. He was OK eating a little cereal in the very beginning, but wasn't that interested after that. I tried all the baby foods, too, and he did the lip-clamp thing. I went back to EBFing him, and would offer foods to him here and there that I was eating.

When he was able to reliably pick up his own foods, he got more interested. We also did the Gerber fruit/veggie puffs thing, which helped him practice picking food up (and they're easier dissolving than a Cheerio). I thought my child was weird until I came across this board and realized that it's very normal!

Anyway, he really got more interested around the 9-10 month mark. He's super picky about what he eats, and will only let me feed him applesauce, otherwise he has to feed himself.

HTH

Lisa

Thanks, ladies.
    I guess I was worried that this is a kind of a development milestone which she is not reaching yet. It is good to know it is a normal behavior.
    Thanks!