Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At a loss

Default At a loss

Well DS is 7 mo and very super interested in eating food. I mean to the point that if someone is even eating in the same room and not giving him something he flips out. I can feed him the following food w/o trouble. Carrots and banana. Thats it. Oh yea- potato too. Anything else his poos will get streaky with blood. I have tried cracker - bad news. My mom gave him a few spaghetti noodles and bread another day and that seems to cause problems too. The day he had bits of chicken we had a bad next 24 hours!~
    Can he be that sensitve to soemthing in those foods? WHat are my other option as the other foods I "could" try him on (that I know of) are a no-go. Cant do avocados... or at least am afraid to try because DH and I are both sensitive to them and basically get hives when we eat them. Since DS is so young I wanted to avoid giving those foods that we're sensitive to since DS cant tell us what may be troubling him. Is this coming off exasperated? I am. I am sad because he wants to eat -
    can I just continue to give him banana, potato and carrots? Is that a stupid question from someone that should know better (with as much as I've read on this subject)
    I dunno - maybe i'm just venting-
    TIA
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: At a loss

I'm no expert at food sensitivites. Have you checked with your doctor? Blood in the stool just sounds concerning. I have no doubt it's food-related, but since I'm no expert, I've just never heard of that kind of reaction.

Due to the age, I wouldn't worry at this point if you're not introducing more foods.

Lisa

Boy I think I would start very slowly with things that are single ingredients.
    dr sears has a good section on his web site about food allergies

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp

heres part of what it says
    Even though it's possible to be allergic to just about any food, over 90 percent of food allergies, especially in young children, are caused by seven foods:

dairy products
    soy
    shellfish
    wheat
    tree nuts
    peanuts
    egg whites

the bread and crackers might have had wheat or milk or soy in them.
    good luck figureing out what going on... does he like fruits?

Blood in stools is definitely a bad deal, and I would urge you to talk to your ped about it...maybe even bring in a sample "diaper".

As far as the crackers, spaghetti noodles and bread go, they all can have dairy in them and eggs and wheat. I've heard dairy allergies can cause intestinal bleeding, so that's one place to start. I don't know what symptoms egg allergies normally cause, but your ped. should know. I don't know about the chicken though...was there bleeding with the chicken too? or was LO just uncomfortable? Also, were there any other ingredients in the chicken? like spices, breading that might contain dairy or eggs or wheat or anything else? Also, if it was deli chicken, you don't know what additives were in the deli meat unless you get the deli to print off the info from the actual "bird" packaging. The deli packaging doesn't generally reflect all additives etc.

Benign foods are usually applesauce, bananas, and rice cereals. There's also pears which are pretty easy, plus the other foods you're already giving him. Since he's only 7 mos., maybe you need to slow up a bit and make sure you only introduce 1 new food a week or so and just let him get used to them one at a time. That will let you get to know more of a pattern with which food sensitivities he may have.

Its really not a good idea to let him continue with the blood in his stools and that needs to be checked out. I've always been told that blood in the stools indicates either a "problem" or a VERY irritated intestine...which is also a problem. Ibuprofen can also cause stomach and intestinal bleeding when its over-used, so if you are giving ALOT of Motrin or brands of infant ibuprofen for teething, you may want to ask your doc. about that too.

Please keep us updated...

thanks gals for all the input... I realized after I posted it was more of a vent... Because He gets so interested in eating. I'll just stick to banana and puffed rice

but lets see - i'll try to reply to all the ?'s

I had made the chicken and it was plain - we had super upset tummy and gassssssy night and the poo the next a.m. was naaa---haaa-aaasty! so no more chicken for a while. I have a list of food to introduce for the allergic infant on my fridge but I was just wondering what other people did ...

We don't do ibuprofen so it can't be that and I am not too concerned with the streaks of poo because it came with the offensive foods- so we'll be going without those foods. I was mad at my mom for giving him the bread and stuff and I doub't she'll do that again anytime soon.

I am on a partial Elimination diet due to dairy issues - I figured that out on my own (no help from my ped.) so the suggestion to talk to his ped are appreciated but she just blows everything off... which is too bad because she's a really nice lady!
    I think thats it...

thanks for letting me rant and for the replies!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Red blood in poop is usually a surface issue - check his bottom to see if he's gotten a scratch or cut with the offensive foods. It may just be as a result of 'solid' poop.

Intestinal bleeding causes black poop in people (Pepto Bismol has the same effect though, but definitely don't give THAT to your baby).