Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't want to supplement at night!

Default I don't want to supplement at night!

Okay, so, my six week old son is now hungry at night... from 11pm-1:30am. I *think* he's trying to get enough to eat so that he can go to sleep, and I caved (I'm exhausted but I know it will get better - this one's #3!) and for the last two nights I've given him two oz of formula which has let us both sleep. And I don't want to!! Are there any recommendations for increasing my night milk production so that we can get some sleep without using commercial tactics?? (Note this has been happening for the last week, prior to that he was getting enough and going to sleep, although this has always been his fussy time.)

I know this is when I'm tired from the day and maybe not hydrated enough, could these be part of the problems??

Any ideas would be great, thanks!!

P.S. I nursed both my older son and daughter but gave up with ds at 6mos and only supplemented with breastfeeding at night, and daughter went 12 mos, but didn't have this problem.

Default Re: I don't want to supplement at night!

It's a 6week growth spurt and while you may be uncomfortable (and not well rested for a couple of days) You NEED to let him cluster feed. He's getting bigger and he NEEDS to up the amount you make so that you can continue to sustain him. If you supplement, your body won't get the signal to make MORE. It gets the signal that what your making is enough. Him cluster feeding, bring him to the breast as often as possible and keeping him there when he acts like he wants to stay attached is the only way. I know it's exhausting but supplementing can be a very slippery slope. Try to ride it out. Other wise what usually happens is the amount you supplement grows and grows. It's completely supply and demand. He's demanding more. If your body gets the signal you will make more, if you give formula when he demands more...you won't. GOOD LUCK!

Way too lazy for formula

That was the problem with ds #1, I started supplementing, and then it just grew and grew and grew, dd has always been little and bossy so her supplementing wasn't til 8mos or so and it just kinda slowly happened, not in a shocking or unnatural way (to me). I don't want to be supplementing with #3 so soon and I'm ticked off that I started to and wasn't sure what to do about it. With #1, the doctor told me I wasn't producing enough milk, so I've always been terrified of weight gain and I'm always mostly certain I'm not producing enough milk...

Don't worry about it unless your baby is losing weight. Other than that gage whether or not your child is having enough wet diapers. 4-6 a day? At least one poopy a week? If out put is on track than just bite the bullet and feed, feed, feed. The supplementing "so we can sleep" means you are missing at least one que to make milk because formula takes longer to digest. So during a time when you need to make MORE milk your body thinks it gets to go a little LONGER until next time....see how that's starts to create problems? Don't doubt your ability. Don't think that because your LO want more that your not making enough. We ALL need to make MORE to continue to sustain evergrowing LOs the only way your body know that is if you continually send up the signal "More eating going on" good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

do you think its impossible for a woman to not produce enough milk for her baby?
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

I think it's possiable, and there are some health problems that can cause mother to have low milk supply.

How I feel your pain! My son went from sleeping all night to waking up multiple times to eat. But given that your baby is 6 weeks old, it probably is a growth spurt- which hopefully will be short lived. Maybe try spreading your fluid intake out over a longer period so you will be really well hydrated when you go to bed. You could also try some fenugreek or eating lots of oatmeal for a few days to help you make more milk.