Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gassy Baby

Default Re: Gassy Baby

Typically BF babies don't get gassy very often. However, gassy BF baby can be from OALD which I found out I had after my boys were a few months old...I thought spraying was normal! Also, the congestion can be from that too. When you Bf try holding lo upright a little. That has helped with my boys. One of them would even have milk coming from his nose! That usually happened when I nursed them flat on the nursing pillow. I later learned to put a pillow under their heads or hold the pillow up a little. HTH.

I have a 5 week old with the fussy, gassy, colicky symptoms...I have started to use Colic-Ease brand gripe water which is a natural formula for easing digestive problems...initially recommended by my pediatrician. I'm still playing with doses and when to give it, i.e. before, during, after feeding...but it seems to have helped a little bit-- there are many people out there that swear by it--it's worth the try!! Mylicon did nothing for my daughter!!

I swear by Babyis Bliss brand Gripe Water. They sell it Wild Oats and i bought a bottle every two weeks for my Colicky Baby.
    HANG IN THERE!

Meredith wrote:
    I am currently trying to eliminate dairy from my diet to try to help with the gas. Mainly I have been told that babies this age have immature digestive systems and it will get better with time.
    Sarah wrote:
    Meredith, I wouldn't eliminate dairy from your diet since you need the calcium for your breastmilk. Have you tried Lactaid milk or Lactaid pills?
    Lactaid won't help if the baby has a dairy allergy. Lactaid is for adults to help reduce the symptoms of lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance is almost unheard of in infants.

Many mothers do find that eliminating dairy from the diet helps with a very fussy/gassy baby. There are plenty of other ways to get the calcium and phosphorus that cows milk provides. The calcium provided by the diet is really more for the mothers needs--a mother has to have pretty severe malnutrition before the quality of the breast milk is affected.

OP: It certainly sounds like the gas is bothering him most of the time? In that case it definitely warrants keeping a food diary to see if something you're eating might be bothering him. If you do determine it's dairy, be aware that it can take up to 2-3 weeks to get it ALL out of your system. Also beware of many processed and prepackaged foods--dairy is in all kinds of crazy things!

Hugs
    Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; January 9th, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Jen
    Thanks for the advice
    Yes it does seem my babe is affected often by gas. Once its dealt with, and he feeds, hes happy as a clam. I know he would be so content if I could just deal with the gas. He doesn't nurse well when the gas is bugging him (I don't blame him, I'm sure I'd be annoyed too, so much gas for such a little tummy).

I have heard different things about the elimination diet. People have told me that only proteins in the blood can be transferred into the breastmilk. Milk isnt made from our stomach contents. Therefore milk is a probable cause, but something like...tomatoes or citrus wouldn't be a cause because they don't become proteins in the blood. Have you heard this before? I stopped dairy when DS was about 2 weeks old, and then started cheating recently. So that could be it. I've got serious about it again.

I'm trying really hard to burp him during and after nursing, but he often doesn't burp. His latch seems off lately, I will post on that later. So I think he could be sucking more air in.

Lyn

Just wanted to add, my pediatrician advised against Gripe Water as it is absorbed into the blood stream (contains sodium bicarbonate?). My ped said Mylicon Drops are okay because they aren't absorbed. I don't know if the drops are helping though. Poor little guy is still suffering. Do they commonly grow out of this? And at what age? I can handle the crying, but hate seeing him in such pain and discomfort.
    Thanks
    Lyn

I have heard different things about the elimination diet. People have told me that only proteins in the blood can be transferred into the breastmilk. Milk isnt made from our stomach contents. Therefore milk is a probable cause, but something like...tomatoes or citrus wouldn't be a cause because they don't become proteins in the blood. Have you heard this before? I stopped dairy when DS was about 2 weeks old, and then started cheating recently. So that could be it. I've got serious about it again.
    I know of many mothers who claim their babies are sensitive to tomatoes or citrus through the breast milk. Protein is definitely not the only thing that transfers into the milk from the mothers bloodstream. Mothers milk is made up of sugars, fats, proteins, immune factors, and many other things. Some of the compounds in breast milk haven't been identified yet, so the fact is that we just don't always know what can and can't transfer into the milk.

If your baby's fussiness has started since you started re-introducing dairy, then it's definitely worth stopping all dairy again to see if that solves your problem.

Good luck!
    Jen
    BTW--you may want to check out the allergies forum. Lots of good info to be had there!
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Lyn,
    My son is now 3 months and was having the same issue when he was a couple of weeks. He would strain trying to push out the gas. I did try the Mylicon, but it did nothing. I did use gripe water and it helped a lot. With the gripe water you need to make sure that it does not have any alcohol in it. Gripe water is mainly fennel tea, cammomile and ginger. Before I got the gripe I also use to take a warm towel or even water bottle and put it on your belly between you and the baby. Then rub his belly, the warmth helps then with the gas. Also I use to get the herbal cammomile tea (not to strong) and give it to him. He did not take it at first but I added a tad of sugar to sweeten it and it helped.

My doctor told my that it was normal and it is for them to be gasses. He has gotten a lot better. I hope it helps.

Yvette

Well he's still gassy. But our cranial osteopath gave us some Pulsatilla homeopathics to try, and it has definitely helped his mood. For the first time since he was born, he woke up from two sleeps not crying. He just looked around with his cute little eyes. But that did not help the gas. This morning he grunted for an hour before actually waking up to nurse. Poor little guy. SO I've researched gripe water and the like.

Mylicon drops: did nothing for my son.

Colic-Ease: contains no sodium bicarbone, no charcoal, none of those other negative ingredients such as sugar, alcohal, colors, flavors, etc. Has 5 essential oils to aid in the gas and discomfort (the upside of this is no charcoal, downside is the essential oils). Available online I wish we had a store nearby to try it.

ColicCalm: Instead of essential oils, it uses homeopathics. However, it contains vegetable charcoal (nervous about this because not only does charcoal absorb the gas, but it can absorb essential nutrients, but it is supposed to be a safe small dose) Again, sold online only, plus its expensive!!!

I bought Cocyntal from the health food store. Its a homeopathic combination. I didn't notice much help from it. Its expensive too

Today we got the Hyland's colic tablets. They were $5.49 for 125 tablets (sounds like alot, but I think you can use up to 18-20 tablets a day!) We gave him two tablets about an hour ago. He hasn't been grunting yet....he's sleeping right now. I'm really hoping this one works, as I would like for him to sleep better. I feel so bad that his sleep is so broken. Anyway, the colic tablets are made of three homeopathics.

I have heard such good things about the Baby's Bliss Gripe Water, but my pediatrician recommends against it because it contains sodium bicarbonate.

Has anyone tried any of the above items?
    Thanks
    Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 12th, 2007 at 08:26 PM.

Colic-Ease brand gripe water is one of the only ones on the market that doesn't contain sodium bicarb...check out their website-- colicease.com