Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gassy Baby

Default Gassy Baby

My 5 week old seems really bothered by gas. I try to burp him after nursing, very rarely will he give even one burp. However, he always has lower gas, and squirms and grunts and seems very annoyed by the gas. He strains to get it out. It is affecting nursing and sleep. He cries when he eats if he has gas. I have tried most of the normal techniques (bicycing, rubbing, patting, etc and recently bought some mylicon drops). Is this just normal changing and developing of their digestive systems and will it pass? How can I help my LO with this. He cries a lot when he can't pass the gas, and it breaks my heart. He has very small nostrils and gets congested often. The LC said this could lead to extra gas. I try to ensure a correct latch, but he does sometimes click when he eats.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    Lyn

Default Re: Gassy Baby

I am a new mom, my DS is almost 12 weeks, I know in the beginning (around 4-6 weeks) he was much more gassy than he is now. I think as they get bigger and their systems mature they are more effective at getting the gas out. That is just my experience, I am new at this . Is he pooping regularly?

Yes he is pooping often. More than 3 times a day. I am a little worried about dehydration because his feeding is so sporadic and when he is gassy he won't nurse for longer than 5 minutes. His soft spot seems a little sunken in when this happens. And he has bubbly saliva sometimes....I hope this improves...I worry about him.
    Lyn

I am having the EXACT same problems with my LO. He is 4 weeks old and I thought I was eating something that might be bothering him but I really don't think that is the problem. If he is awake, he is extremely uncomfortable and just about always crying. He squirms and wiggles and it is affecting his eating. I scheduled a DR appt for him tomorrow but I am on AHCCCS which is gov't paid insurance and the DR's just aren't the best. I have a STRONG feeling they are going to tell me to discontinue breastfeeding and start formula which will probably make the situation worse in my eyes. I'm frustrated with you Danlynclark! I just want to fix my LO and I am stumped. I haven't tried the mylicon drops... what exactly are these?

TIA

heres a good link from dr sears..
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp#T051208
    Swallowing air and passing gas is a normal part of growing up. But excessive intestinal gas can make a young baby miserable. A mother of one of my gassy little patients describes these bloated episodes: "When my daughter is trying to pass gas, it is like a mother going through a difficult labor." Try these ways of getting the air out.

Letting Less Air InGetting More Air Out

If breastfeeding, be sure baby's lips form a good seal far back on the areola.
    If bottlefeeding, be sure baby's lips are positioned on the wide base of the nipple, not just on the tip.
    Tilt the bottle at a thirty-to-forty-degree angle while feeding so that air rises to the bottom of the bottle; or try collapsible formula bags.
    Eliminate fuss foods from your diet if breastfeeding (see elimination diet.
    Feed baby smaller volumes more frequently
    Keep baby upright (at about a forty-five-degree angle) during and for a half-hour after a feeding.
    Avoid prolonged sucking on pacifiers or empty bottle nipples.
    Respond promptly to a baby's cries. First and foremost, be sure to burp baby during and after feedings. You can also try the following techniques and remedies (see Comforting Colic, for more about these):
    abdominal massage
    baby bends
    simethicone drops
    glycerin suppositories
    tummy rolls

your milk is much beter then formula!
    At least you know that and can stand up for your baby lots of doctors give bad advice about breastfeeding, they get little to no training in it..
    what are babies poops like, green can mean they are not liking sometime in your diet, or getting too much formilk. There are lots of things you can try before formula.

I too have a very gassy baby. My LO is 5 weeks today. I do everything to help him pass it without passing it for him.

I think it is just something we have to deal with until their systems mature. It is a rough time right now but as long as you know he is eating and not dehydrated.. you should be fine...

It will get better... I am sure of it!

My baby is 5 weeks old and is also very gassy at times. She will burp but still seems to get gassy, especially in the evenings. Her tummy will get rigid and she will grunt and get fussy until she has passed the gas. She is fairly fussy and the gas will at times lead her to have trouble sleeping and she gets overtired (which of course causes more fussiness).

I have been told by my doctor to try the mylicon and burping. I am currently trying to eliminate dairy from my diet to try to help with the gas. Mainly I have been told that babies this age have immature digestive systems and it will get better with time.

That does not really help when they are fussy for hours on end. Just hang in there and hopefully better times are ahead.

Meredith

My DS was also very gassy and crying alot. I was going crazy thinking that it was my diet. At around 8 wks it got better. Now he is 3 months still has gas but does not bother him at all anymore.

I think that is just very typical of that age- notice the trend in the pp's? My DD also went through a very difficult gassy time where a pacifier and Myclicon drops were the only way that any of us ever got any sleep. She did get better though (for awhile!) I say this because we now know that she has several food allergies. I think 5 weeks is probably a little soon in MOST cases to blame it on food allergies but there is a chance that it could always be sensitivity to something in your diet. If so, that will reveal itself in time and there would be other signs besides gas alone. Sounds pretty normal right now.

About the frequent pooping- your baby will not get deydrated. Lots of poops/pees are a good sign that your baby is getting a lot of milk so yeah for you! You probably also still have some colostrum mixed in with your milk and that acts as more of a laxative (but in a safe, nature-intended way) As with most things, this too shall pass!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Meredith, I wouldn't eliminate dairy from your diet since you need the calcium for your breastmilk. Have you tried Lactaid milk or Lactaid pills?

I have a very gassy 3-week old premie and am also hoping the problem will get better with time. I bought mylicon but then read that studies show it to be ineffective so I don't know if I should bother. Has anyone had success with it or any other over the counter gas drops?

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by AlexasMom View Post
    My baby is 5 weeks old and is also very gassy at times. She will burp but still seems to get gassy, especially in the evenings. Her tummy will get rigid and she will grunt and get fussy until she has passed the gas. She is fairly fussy and the gas will at times lead her to have trouble sleeping and she gets overtired (which of course causes more fussiness).

I have been told by my doctor to try the mylicon and burping. I am currently trying to eliminate dairy from my diet to try to help with the gas. Mainly I have been told that babies this age have immature digestive systems and it will get better with time.

That does not really help when they are fussy for hours on end. Just hang in there and hopefully better times are ahead.

Meredith