Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep baby in the room while in hosptial?

Default Re: Should I keep baby in the room while in hosptial?

I had complications during my c section, so I really didn't have the option of caring for the baby in my room right after the surgery. I was able to nurse her right after. She did beautifully. I was given morpheine during the section so it is all hard to remember, but they took her to the nursery because I was having low blood pressure. My husband and I both told them we were nursing and not to give her formula. I had to request several times for them to bring her to me from the nursery. One time I waited for about 30 minutes for them to bring her, and had to get my hubby to go and get her. After that she didn't want to nurse. I know they gave her a bottle. It took me weeks to get her to nurse again after that. The hospital I was in wasn't very supportive of breastfeeding. If I could do it all over again I would have kept her in my sights at all times and I would have gone to a different hospital. It's really sad that some people feel they can just decide what is best for your baby instead of letting you make those decisions.

The night before I had to go home, I knew I needed to be a bit more rested than I was so I allowed them to take him to the nursery for two hours at night, while I slept, needless to say I didn't sleep b/c I was worried about him.
    I was tired from to mant visitors etc. and did the same thing. I didn't sleep a wink though thinking about the baby ang asked to bring her back.

I too had a c-section but still kept my boys in the room with me! I did for all 4 children and was fortunate enough to have them all at the same hospital. Each stay got better and better! This time around our room was like a suite! Even the Drs. that came in were surprised at the size of the room. The bathroom was almost the size of the twins bedroom..lol! The rm had a little kitchenette. I felt like a queen...regardless of the PAIN I was in from my 7am section! I also had my dhs cousin with me the whole time! What a saint she was for waking with me everytime one of the boys would get up she would hand them to me and put them back when I was done BFing.

I love the experience of childbirth no matter how the outcome (this was my 1st c-section). To me it was only natural that I would be the one to care for them day or night. I also didn't want any confusion about BF/FF or nurses giving babies a pacifier, stolen/switched babies...LMBO! Highly unlikely coming from this highly experienced maternity ward but ONE NEVER KNOWS!

Got me thinking now...I wish I could rewind the clocks and go back to that day! My boys are growing too fast!!!

Our hospitals don't even offer the choice anymore. You have a crib in your room and that is the end of it, unless there are complications, of course.

Mind you, I always wanted her to bunk with me anyhow.

Yep, I think you'll know what works best for you when the time comes. I think the main point is that you need to do what works for you. Don't feel guilty if you send your newborn to the nursery to get some rest, and don't feel "weird" if you insist on your newborn not leaving your sight! Either way is fine.

I can't believe how close you are to having your LO!!

Lisa

It's a personal decision, but I would recommend staying with the baby. I don't know how bfing friendly your hospital is, but there is always the risk of the nurses giving the baby formula. Besides, being woken up every three hours is not very restful anyway. Your baby is not on that schedule to eat when they get home, you may as well get used to it at the hospital while you have some help.

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    Do you recommend that the baby stay with me in my room after delivery or should I be woken up every time the baby needs a feeding?

I've heard good things about both, with some saying that the latter option is better b/c it allows the mom to get some rest before going home. However, for bonding purposes the first seems better.
    I think this is not a question of more rest vs. better bonding. The evidence is pretty clear that breastfeeding itself gets off to the best start when mother and baby are not separated.

One point of LLL philosophy addresses this, with the statement:

Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
    The more often you nurse in the early hours and days after birth, the more colostrum your baby will get, the less weight s/he will lose, the faster s/he will clear meconium from the gut, the less jaundiced s/he will become, and more practice s/he will get with latching and nursing; also, the more often you nurse in those early days, the more quickly your uterus will contract (preventing unnecessary blood loss), the faster your milk will change to mature milk (the milk "coming in"), and the better your chances of having plenty of milk for your growing baby.

If your baby stays in the postpartum nursery (assuming your hospital even has one; Baby-Friendly hospitals do not have them for routine use), then by the time a nurse notices your baby's hunger cues and gets him or her to your room, the baby will likely be screaming. There is also always the chance that a nurse who is busy or who is more concerned for your rest than for your wishes regarding breastfeeding might offer a pacifier or a supplemental feed to postpone bringing you your baby.

Early hunger cues include rooting, moving the mouth, whimpering; you will see these cues before the baby is even fully awake. Crying is a very late hunger cue. It's much easier to get a newborn onto the breast with a good latch if you catch the early hunger cues and move quickly before s/he has a chance to wake up fully and start crying.

If it is at all possible, I strongly advise you to plan to room-in with your baby, and preferably with your husband or another adult helper staying there as well. The sooner you take over the care of your baby, the sooner you will get the hang of things, and the less likely someone will do something to jeapordize your breastfeeding relationship (like offering a pacifier or supplemental feed.)

One reason I am reluctant to agree that "you will know at the time" whether or not to keep the baby with you is that the experience of childbirth often leaves mothers very vulnerable to suggestion. If your hospital or even just your L&D nurses are not well-grounded in good breastfeeding practices, they may urge you to send the baby to the nursery, and in that uniquely suggestible postpartum state, it might be easy to agree with them. Barring really serious complications, it would be best to keep the baby with you continuously, ideally with your husband also staying in your hospital room.

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    Don't feel guilty if you send your newborn to the nursery to get some rest, and don't feel "weird" if you insist on your newborn not leaving your sight! Either way is fine.
    I just wanted to reiterate this...please don't feel guilty if you do send your newborn to the nursery. I trusted my staff and I had a wonderful experience. I realize that LLL's stance is to encourage early bonding, and that is much easier if baby is in the room with you, but sometimes things change at the last minute. I beat myself up for months over having a section...the last thing I needed was someone telling me I had screwed up by not rooming in (not that Rebecca or Kristie are telling me that, but it could be interpreted that way). I just want to point out that bonding can occur if you have to be separated for a short time. The next time I will go into it with the same mindset...I will want to room in. But if it comes down to 2 weeks of labor ending in a c-section, I may still let the wonderful nursery RN's spend a little time snuggling my baby too. I can't wait for the next time I get to do it...hoping it might just happen sometime soon!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Just have to chime in... we had a wonderful labor & delivery, no pain meds and I was on a high too (as someone else mentioned). But I was slow to have milk come in, so baby was hungry and hardly sleeping because of it, which started a vicious cycle because I was always up to attend to her, no rest for me, no milk, and so on. The best sleep I got was 2.5 hours when the nurses took her for a certain test (they said they should give her sugar water to make the test somehow easier). My thought was "Sugar water?! NOOOO!" But I was exhausted by then and realized a full tummy might help us both. In my case it did, though I never would've consented if well-rested. I think you just have to weigh all the pros & cons... having an advocate (husband, partner, doula) helped me too. Best of luck!

I had a very long labor and had not slept in three nights, for the first night of DD's life she was kept in the nursery, but brought to me when she was hungry. Despite being given this opportunity to get some rest- the nurses still came in every couple of hours to take BP etc. So it wasn't very restful. The second night she was with me and we nursed throughout the night. I liked having her in the room with me because I was able to get lots of mommy experience while I still had nurses and lactation consultants at my fingertips.

If your baby does go to the nursery, make sure she has a sign on her bassinet that says something like "my mommy is nursing me--no bottles, pacifiers, please!".

We were v. fortunate, our hospital was very pro-breastfeeding. I can still remember the big poster in my recovery room--it showed a baby at its mother's breast and read "Breastfeeding--its only natural!". The nurses were all experienced breastfeeders. My night nurse was so so helpful--I'll never forget how she encouraged me--it is so easy to become frustrated at 3 am with a screaming newborn at your breast. Sometimes I think of going back and saying thank you! Look at us--nearly 1.5 years later and still going strong!