Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep baby in the room while in hosptial?

Default Should I keep baby in the room while in hosptial?

Do you recommend that the baby stay with me in my room after delivery or should I be woken up every time the baby needs a feeding?

I've heard good things about both, with some saying that the latter option is better b/c it allows the mom to get some rest before going home. However, for bonding purposes the first seems better.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Should I keep baby in the room while in hosptial?

I had wanted dd to stay in the room with me, and for the most part she did. I had a c-section though, and was sooo tired. I had the section at 6pm, and got back to the room at about 7:30. Inursed dd and she stayed with us until about midnight, nursing every few hours. At midnight, the nurse suggested that she take dd into the nursery and dh was really persistant that that was a good idea. I really didn't have the energy to fight it. I slept for about 4 hours, and dd must have too, b/c around 4am, the nurse brought her back into feed, and she stayed with us the rest of the time. That day, she was with us that day, and the next night she spent a few hours in the nursery so that we could rest. Because of the surgery, I couldn't be alone with her, because I wasn't all that mobile. I think it worked out fine. Just be sure to tell the nurses your wishes about breastfeeding, no artificial nipples, no sugar water, etc. They were really great at my hospital, which is very pro-breastfeeding, and although they pushed the pacifier on us (another long story) they weren't going to give her formula or a bottle. I think it is a very personal decision and you might just want to play that by ear, and how you feel!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My first two had to be in the special care nursery, and I went in to feed them at every feed. DS was healthy enough to room in with me and it was a far better experience! We had a much better start to bfing! I would highly recommend rooming in if at all possible. HTH

I had a c-section and let the nurses keep dd in the nursey. i was exhausted and kinda high from the moriphine then epidural then spinal so i allowed them to give her formula that first night. (our breastfeeding realationship has had no problems b/c of it)then for the next 3 nights that i was in the hospital i let them keep her until needing to feed. At my hospital they take the babies around 9pm (or whenever your ready) and bring them back in at 6am. I found it to be a godsend especially after recovering from surgery. Just do whatever you have to to be comfortable.

Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

It all depends on what is best for you and how you feel about it really. You'll see when the time comes. I was in labor for about 2 days before I had a c-section, and I hadn't slept for quite a while, but I didn't let them take her from me except for blood tests due to jaundice. That girl stayed in my room, I didn't want her out of my sight. I was scared someone would take her or that they'd mix her up with someone else's baby (Very unlikely!!)

The next one I have will stay in the room with me for the WHOLE time!! Weighings and everything if I have my way. I only allowed them to take DS to the nursery once with the strict instructions that he NOT have a pacifier. That was the only thing I asked. NO BINKY. I was very specific with the little girl that took my son. Well, when they brought him back to me there was a note in the bassinet. "Please remove pacifier before returning baby to room" Well, they did remove the binky, but the dumb butt forgot to remove the note. When I mentioned something about this the woman told me that she had been a NICU nurse for many years, I forget the number, and that she has never seen or heard of "nipple confusion" When I mentioned that I was very displeased with the blatent disregard for my wishes the same nurse brought in a bottle of formula and told me that my son was losing too much weight and if I didn't feed him he would end up in the pediatric ward with IV's and all for dehydration. I was PISSED and SCARED TO DEATH. I did NOT give him the formula in the hospital but rather dumped it down the sink and I made sure to report her and her attitude come Monday morning. If you go in and request the lactation consultant DO NOT let them tell you "Oh I was one for so many years...blah blah blah" Tell them thank you but you would really appreciate them respecting your wishes and getting you the certified lactation cons. because this is very important to you. If they refuse, you report them.
    You are so lucky for finding these boards. I went through 6 weeks of bleeding cracked nipples and our third day home I supplemented with formula because my FIL was accusing me of starving the baby. Plus we were giving him the binky and I think it contributed greatly with our struggle with the low supply as well as the supplementation in the beginning. Being a first time mommy and a first time BFer on both sides of the family I was very insecure to begin with. With the nurse and my family badgering me I was a nervous nelly. Because of the boards I have learned that I am in fact doing what is best for my son and NO ONE is going to tell me otherwise. I am NOT going to allow someone to dog me anymore. Sorry, I guess I went into depth a little more than I thought I was. Didn't mean to. Just having flash backs. We are now 7 1/2 mo and this kid will NOT get off of me. We're doing GREAT. I wish you the best of luck and I didn't mean to scare you with this post. Other than that one episode, the L & D unit was perfect as well as the rest of the stay. Just telling you what happened to me so you can either threaten them severely before taking your child or decide to keep him with you at ALL times. Oh, I also allowed the nurse to give me a Tylox too. Big mistake because it made me so tired I had to really fight to stay awake and that was when I made the decision to let them take him. Anyway, I'm done now. Sorry. I wish you nothing but the best.

At our hospital the default was to have the baby in the room and there was a nursery in case the mom wanted a break. I chose to have the baby stay with me the whole time and absolutely loved it! They only took baby away 2 times for about 5 mins each to do some routine checks. The rest of the time the nurses came to us to check the baby's (and my) stats, check hearing, etc. The nurses were super great about working around what we were doing and encouraging nursing and a good parent relationship. If we were nursing when they wanted to check vitals they either waited or checked baby while he was latched on.

My hospital room also had a pretty nice futon couch for dads, so my husband was able to stay with us comfortably. It was really great for the three of us to have that time to start to get to know each other as a family with the security of knowing that help from the nurses was just a button press away. We did have one question the first night and a nurse was there in an instant after we buzzed them. We were able to nurse on demand overnight without needing to have baby brought from the nursery which was also a big big big plus. It was very nice to get the experience doing nursing, diaper changes and handling baby with help nearby before heading home to have to figure it out on our own. I LOVED having our baby in the bassinet next to me and be able to hear him breathe and be able to look over and see him any time I wanted.

The second night in the hospital, our LO had high biliruben levels (i.e. jaundice) so they actually brought a portable bili-light set up to my room and we did the bili-light treatment in our room. We could have had this done by the nurses in the nursery, but we wanted to be there the whole time to be the ones to comfort our LO. The nurses checked in on us often. Also - as part of the jaundice treatment I was instructed to nurse every 60 min which would have been more of a hassle if LO was in the nursery (important side note - at no time did anyone mention formula as part of the jaundice treatment). It was a long sleepless night but I wouldn't have had it any other way because we were instrumental in helping our LO recover quickly from his jaundice.

Some comments - you're not likely to get long uninterrupted sleep in the hospital anyways with people coming to check your vitals, shift changes, etc. Also - you get over any shyness pretty quickly! There was a good chance we were nursing when anyone came into the room and I pretty much stopped caring in the first 30 seconds. Childbirth is definitely not a time to be modest!

Oh - and a suggestion to help manage your rest time is to put limits on your visitors and phone calls. We didn't allow anyone to come visit in the hospital until we were all settled in the room and feeling ready for socializing. And we requested that people check before visiting to see if it was a good time for us or not. That way we were able to have some stretches of quiet time during the day to nap. The woman in the room next door had so many vistors constantly coming and going that it sounded like a contant party scene. On her second day, I noticed "no vistors" sign on her door and imagine she was very relieved!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I just wanted to add one more thing. I had dd in a very small hospital, with only one other baby born in the time that we were there, so getting switched was impossible...the other baby was a boy! And there is a nurse with them at all times...the same nurse throughout a 12 hour shift, and then a new nurse for another 12 hour shift. I hear stories like Shannon's above me and am just mortified. That makes me sick...and if anything like that happens, you should report it. Just don't let that scare you too much! A little is good though! I made sure that they brought dd to me whenever she was hungry, or every 3 hours, whichever came first...except the first night and we both slept a lot longer than that...we really needed it though. Anyway, it might be something that you flex on after the birth...but don't waiver on the things that are important to you...no artificial nipples, no sugar water, whatever that may be!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Wanted to add that I agree with previous posts about being VERY clear about your wishes about breastfeeding, pacifier, etc.

When the nurses were going to do a heel stick to get blood they did it in our room and asked first before offering a pacifier. When we said "no" it wasn't an issue.

The bili-light night was pretty long and LO wasn't too happy about being under the lights instead of nicely swaddled. At some point we did offer LO a pacifier but he spit it out. The important part is that we were offering, not the nurses.

With the jaundice - nobody even suggested formula. They knew that if I breastfed ALOT then LO would get the healthy colostrum and all that nursing would help my milk come in sooner.

Our whole experience with our maternity ward team was fantastic and they were very supportive of our childbirth and baby decisions - but I know that's not always the case.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I would say if your not too tired, absolutely!! I had my LO with me just about the entire time. I was in the hospital for 3 days and three nights. The night before I had to go home, I knew I needed to be a bit more rested than I was so I allowed them to take him to the nursery for two hours at night, while I slept, needless to say I didn't sleep b/c I was worried about him. I called the nursery and had them bring him back to me. We slept together quite well that night, and went home rested. I recommend it, however, you have to do what is best for you!!! also, I had a natural birth, no drugs at all (not even Tylenol) so I was very alert after giving birth, which made it easier for me to care for my son.