Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can sleeping late reduce milk flow?

Unhappy can sleeping late reduce milk flow?

Hi folks. We just returned from a 5-day trip to show off my 13-week old son to his cousins. We were exhausted yesterday and slept late, getting up at about 10am (thanks to ds for cooperating -- he went back to sleep in bed with us after a 6am feed!) I'm in the habit of nursing and pumping a bottle in the morning, usually between 8-9 am. At 10am both breasts were near to bursting and leaking all over. I nursed ds and pumped as usual, and had no supply issues all day. Then this morning I was up ready to nurse my son around 8am. My breasts were a lot softer than usual, and ds seemed to have a hard time getting the milk to let down. He finally got frustrated and gave up, going from smiley to fussy and eventually falling asleep. Finally after a couple of hours of waiting for him to chow down, I gave up, pumped one breast, and waited for him to wake up from a nap to eat -- at which point my letdown on the other breast still seemed rather slow. He has eaten only intermittently all morning, without what I'd call a "solid meal" (he's now sleeping on my chest as I type).

So, my question is, did my sleeping in for one day cause this drop in supply? And should I avoid sleeping late as a result? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I should mention that I have a bit of a problem with overactive letdown and have been doing 2-3 hour block feeding, after the initial morning nursing session. This has been working well for me.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Annie

Default Re: can sleeping late reduce milk flow?

I can't imagine that your supply would be affected in such a way and so quickly. I have a 12 week old daughter and overactive letdown....we do block feeding as well. I pump once a day during the first morning feeding, I feed her on the right while pumping the left. We don't really have a schedule with certain times, more like a routine built around her cycle. She wakes, eats, plays sleeps.....she usually sleeps for 45 min. and is awake for 1 hr. 30 min.

Occasionally I have to leave her for six hours at a time for my job where pumping is impossible and my supply has never been affected.

Once I slept through the night while her Daddy fed her ebm through the night and still my milk supply was fine.

I think you would have to regularly skip feedings or adjust your schedule more frequently for it to have an impact. This might not be the case for others, but this is how it's been for us.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Getting engorged like that could tell your breasts that they dind't need to make as much milk, but I can't imagine it would be permanent. Give it a couple days and make sure you nurse as often as he'll take it; I'm sure it'll be back to normal soon.

Thanks for the responses, things seemed almost back to normal this morning , although my son seems to be in a pattern of not being too hungry in the morning, perhaps because the last nightime feed wasn't too long before. No trouble pumping though, and there seemed like plenty for him to nurse if he had kept at it.

NolaMomma, it seems like we have a pretty similar pattern with babies about the same age. Out of curiosity, what pump do you use to do simultaneous pumping in the morning? I had a post about that in the pumping forum, and am curious about other mothers' experiences. I use the Medela harmony hand pump, which I think is pretty good, but not really good for simultaneous pumping because the handle keeps coming off and it's unstable at the breast. Is your pump electric? Which one works for you?

Annie

I use the Medela Pump-in-style electric pump. I was double-pumping an hour after the first morning feeding, now I just pump during that feeding and it saves time.

It definitely took some practice!! When I think of how foreign it all was during those first few weeks and how hard it seemed, then look at we are now, I see lots of progress.

I do enjoy the support I get here, it's been really helpful.

-Christy
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.