Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nap time crying

Default nap time crying

Hi,
    Hope someone has got some ideas. My 3 month old gets tired cranky and then fights sleep, screaming and crying herself into hysteria. She used to go to sleep in my arms. I still hold her as soon as I see she's tired, rock her,sing,nurse her but no luck. She goes to bed well at night after a bath and a feed. In the day will only sleep in the car or pushchair.
    Should I have a routine? Will she grow out of this and I need to just do the walks and car journeys until she does? I'd be thankfull for any help.
    PICT1047.JPG
    Last edited by catoula; January 8th, 2007 at 07:22 AM.

Default Re: nap time crying

Do you have a dryer in your house? My BB finds the noise of the dryer very relaxing, I can even put the bouncer on it for the vibration mimics the car. BB also likes a blow dryer running.
    So I wonder if its not something else, like another growth spurt (3monthes?) which would explain the increased demand of your attention... or an anomaly like an early tooth or something of that nature?

Three months is hard for routine, things are still changing so rapidly....you're doing the right things. Having a nighttime routine is great, though, and will work to your advantage as time goes on. It will help you with naptime, eventually.

I don't know if it's the "right" thing to do, but I routinely nursed my DS to sleep when he was 3-months old. It worked--he got the sleep he needed, and I got my break. As he got older, I was able to gradually work toward NOT nursing him to sleep (he's weaned now).

Lisa

Crap. Sorry, I just reread your post and saw that you already try the nursing thing.....

Lisa

Mine does this a bit still, and he was really bad about it for a few weeks. Personally, I think it's genetic as both his father and I hate to go to bed, too. But the main tricks I've found work are to wrap him up tight, cuddle him really close, and pop a paci in his mouth. Sometimes he gets really mad, and I'll ease off and try playing or reading to him, but sometimes, he's ready and the paci calms him down enough to lull him to sleep. Keep trying anything and everything.

I Like this link from dr sears about high need babies....
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp
    he says :

Babies need to be parented to sleep, not just put to sleep. Some babies can be put down while drowsy yet still awake and drift
    others need parental help by being rocked or nursed to sleep

We found it helped to make the nap room very dark - we taped black trash bags over the windows in baby's rooms.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks so much for all your help, just nice to know you're not on your own. Will try a some of the ideas. More importantly will chill about it!
    Last edited by catoula; January 8th, 2007 at 01:45 PM.

My DD started this about the same age. When they hit that mark, they have a harder time sleeping through anything and everything and are much more easily overstimulated and made overtired because they are starting to notice the world around them. The crying and fighting sleep are definitely signs of an overtired baby. A routine would probably help you both tremendously. It might take some time to master it (trust me I know this much! ) but I would start trying. The sooner, the better. As pp suggested, you should probably start with a nighttime bedtime routine first and then fall into more of a nap routine. Try and earlier bedtime too to ensure that your baby is getting enough sleep. They reach a point where they need our help to fall asleep and get enough sleep because the world is just so interesting who wants to go to sleep? He he. A really helpful book is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Wiesbluth? I found in lacking in terms of technique but very helpful in explaining childrens sleep habits and needs. Good luck.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Post Re: nap time crying

Hello There,

Just reading all the posting it seemed like I was reading about myself. I had a visit from my nurse today and she asked me about my DD sleeping habits. Well, I told her that I always rock her to sleep or she nurses herself to sleep, but then when I told her that I was co-sleeping she did not think it was a good idea. Then I told her that sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to put her to sleep. She said my DD must be overtired. Now that she is 5 months old we have a routine and figured her out. Normally her sign of being tired is rubbing her eyes .Then I pick her up and rock her. Plus the nurses pointed out to me that I have to be calm as well, slow breathing, etc. And you know she is right, because most of the time I have the things in my head what I have to do when she has her nap and I WANT her to go to sleep.
    So, just relax. As the baby gets older they form a routine and a habit and it 'll get easier. I am also trying to introduce a blanket to her so she know it is bedtime, but this nurse will come once a week and she said she'll show me how to help the baby to put herself to sleep. I'll let you know.

Andi
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas