Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too Frequent?

Default Too Frequent?

Hi,
    i know there are a million posts about frequent nursing but i can't find any that have been helpful or exactly match what we're facing.
    My son is now nearing 4 months and still nurses every hour. sometimes sooner! It's not cluster feeding b/c he does it ALL day. Lately he's started screaming between breasts and he just acts like he's starving! I've tried fenugreek and i think it helped some but he still just seems so hungry.
    anyone have any clues, or go through this? The pediatrician suggested supplementing if we want, but we haven't yet... I would rather he have breastmilk but if he's still hungry, he needs to be getting enough to eat!
    thanks
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Default Re: Too Frequent?

what are his wet diapars like?
    and poops?
    That will help you figure out if hes getting the milk he needs
    What about weight gain?
    Does he look like hes growing?
    does he sleep alot at night?
    Its normal for babies to nurse 12 or more times in 24 hours.
    Some babies are just very high needs
    Dr sears has alot of info on his web site about fussy babies
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

he has tons of wets and the dr isnt concerned about his infrequent poops (though some others are).
    weight gain is fine... he usually sleeps 4 then 3 then 2 hrs at night, doesnt nap long.
    i guess i thought that by 4 mo he'd start going longer than 20 min between feedings. he always seems starving. i just want to be sure i'm doing the right thing i guess.
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

If his diaper output is good and his weight gain is fine you ARE making enough. I think often the bigger babies just need to eat more often to make sure the supply keeps up with ever growing demand. I promise in a couple of months you'll be back here going " he can't possible be getting enough! He's going 4 and 5hours at a time w/out eating!" Don't worry. Eventually his weight gain will slow down and his activity level will increase and it will all be way too soon when you look back on it!

Way too lazy for formula