Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster feeding!!

Default Cluster feeding!!

I'm still getting over the debacle/marathon that I went through yesterday, and I felt like relating the story...

The day started out well-rested but worrisome - 7.5 week old son slept for eight hours. Wow. I fed him for two hours after that - he decided to take his morning nap just in time for us to go to a scheduled appointment. Yay! We get back home three hours later (a lot of that was travel time) and I fed him for another two hours. He goes into another nap, and husband encourages me to go out, do some shopping, go get a bubble tea, and enjoy myself. By the time that I come back (with takeout), it's been another three hours since my son nursed, and he's ready again. I eat my dinner quickly (still a two-handed nurser) and am nursing him fifteen minutes later. This was about 7pm at this point. My son then decides to cluster feed until about, oh 3am! We change his diaper many times, I get a snack every once in a while, we burp him as much as we can, and we finally got him to lay down and sleep (with a couple minutes of crying ).

Growth spurt? Missed me too much? Slept too long the previous night? Three hour outing too long for him? Combination of multiple factors? I'd be curious to see if any of you could relate to this story and help me to figure out exactly what went on here...

Oh, and although the nipples didn't hurt much, my left breast was very painful and felt very uncomfortable after this marathon session. It's mostly back to normal this evening, though, so it seems like it will be all right.

Millie
    Who loves her little boy, but omigosh-that-was-tough.

Default Re: Cluster feeding!!

Wow Millie. Lucky you. What are you complaining about again? LOL

I am kidding. Maybe getting a little confused about his days and nights and sleeping too much in the day or on the breast. Try giving a little more stimulation through books, colorful objects hung above him, etc to keep him up.

Good luck and congrats.

Cluster feeding happens. Just wrap your mind around the fact that it will and set your self up to be successful through it. I would take a nap from 10-midnight. So I could be up and ON from Midnight to 5am. Learn to sleep during the day when your baby sleeps and know there will be more than a couple of nights like this. It's MUCH better if you sleep during the day. This is a completely natural and normal part of breastfeeding. Your baby is getting bigger everyday. He needs to call out to your body to UP your supply. The only way to do this is to stay at the breast. Think of the brain development alone that is going on right now.
    You said "We"....my advice, let your husband sleep. Even if he is home with you. You are the only one who can feed your child at this point and that way he can be ON in the AM to feed you, do diaper changes and stay awake while you nap. No need for you both to be bleary eyed and sleep deprived. If you stay up with the baby all night, then he can be available to cater to both of you during the day! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

ditto the let yer dh sleep. My thinking about my own ds is that growth spurts may hurt (achey bones?) and some of it is, "I need my mommy". I know its difficult, but your baby will only ever need you like this for a short time in its life. Treasure it while you can.

My baby does this too and it makes me think I should avoid pumping in case she decides it is time to eat again. I really want to pump, but worry I won't have any milk left if she wants to cluster feed. It's tough.

I pump out just 1-2 ounces and leave the rest in the breast during cluster periods.