Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Seriously?

Default Seriously?

So, I have a four day old boy. He's nursing well but it's at least every hour at night. I break down and give formula 2 oz total per day (0.5-1 oz 2-3 times a day) for my sanity (I am sore but no real problems and feel like a cow), but it just gives him hiccups and gas. Without it, he's hysterically waking up out of sleep.

He latches on good and eats like a champ.

I do pump once a say b/c he does go for a small stretch after the bottle. I had .25 oz yesterday and 0.5 today.

Could part of this also be circumcision pain?

Pls tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I am determined to make this work.

Default Re: Seriously?

If you're referring to the frequent feeding, then this is completely normal for a newborn. Things will get easier once you hit the 2 week mark (after his first growth spurt), and then every week after this. Hang in there, when you think about it, this period is such a short time in your breatfeeding relationship together. Breast feeding helps you and your baby bond and is so important for your little one at this time as breast milk has all the important nutrients your baby needs to grow and thrive.
    Last edited by Rochelleann; January 7th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.

First I will say it does get better. Hang in there. Seriously!!!

Second, I know it's hard but really try harder not to supplement this early. It can cause nipple confusion and hurt your supply. It sounds like things are going great for you, so you don't want to do something that may potentially make it more difficult.

Third, babies do nurse for comfort ie; sleeping, teething pain, tummy woes, etc. so I do think that it's possible for them to want to nurse more when they are in pain.

Keep up the great work. Welcome and Congratulations on your new baby boy.

You are tired and wondering if you will ever get any sleep. He is nursing great but you are worried about your supply. Just let me say the following about supplementing and supply. Supplementing can be a vicious cycle...for several reasons. First, sucking milk from a bottle is much easier than from the breast, so it will discourage your ds from wanting the breast. Second, it can actaully decrease your supply. If you are able to pump milk from the breast, then you have enough for your little one. And it will get easier...the first 6 weeks are the hardest, and I know that seems like such a long time right now, but if you can make it that long, the rest, as they say, is history. Try to have someone help you by making dinner, cleaning up what needs to be cleaned, bringing you cold water, etc. You should be concentrating on nursing your lo and staying well fed and hydrated, AND THAT'S IT. I know it sounds tough, but really, it does get better!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hang in there!!! Hugs go out to you! You can do it. I know it's really tough right now, but you can do it.

Do you swaddle your little one? It will help him feel cozy in between feedings, so maybe you can catch a little rest here and there. Accept help whenever you can. If you have someone helping you, let them take care of your baby in between feedings so you can get some rest.

I know how hard that newborn phase is, but you can do it! Just go one day at a time.

Lisa

Congrats on the new baby and getting off to a good start!
    Frequent feedings are really common in newborns and actually a *good* thing, as they help keep your milk supply up. His stomach is so little right now that he can't hold much, but as he grows that will improve (really, seriously!! ).
    I remember holding my DD and crying because she was eating so often and I was so tired, AND I was trying to be superwoman and do too many other things! I was not sleeping when she was like I was told. PLEASE try and sleep when your LO does (seriously!) and let other things go for a little while (seriously!). You will not regret it. Just try to let your life revolve around your this new little person and know that these days will pass all too soon. There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Just an update -

Last night he was as frequent as continous - one side then the other for hours. Then he wasn't hungry (he actually shakes his head side to side as if he were saying no). With some music and dancing, he fell asleep for 4 HOURS! I actually woke him up to BF.

He's been on track all day today and is now in his "routine" afternoon cluster (every 30 min-1 hour for 4-6 hours). But now that I know this is normal, we're all taking it in stride. We haven't supplemented since my post and he's tapering off his pacifier. He knows the difference - he also shakes no to the paci when he's hungry!

My DH is home for a few weeks so I only have 1 job - BF. He even rocks him to sleep and changes his diapers! He's the best! He even got 6 hours sleep last night, 2 of them with me alone! And I've been taking a 30 min bath every day - I'm spoiled

Thank for all your encouragement - I hope this isn't temporary.

How sweet! You're welcome and take care, mama!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sounds like you are doing great. Thanks for the update. Read this too. It really helped me embrace breastfeeding. http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/Law45com.html

It really does get better. I have a 5 week old and was feeling down too.. Frequent feedings are just part of the deal... It will get better. I am now almost on a schedule for feedings.. well his schedule not mine

Hang in there.. Get some Lanisol for your breasts to make you feel better...

I tried the formula thing too but it only made things worse for me... I pump now and my husband feeds one 4oz in the am and one 4oz before bed. That is how I saved myself...

Also your belly and weight will DROP off soon. I went from 168 lbs to 138 in 5 weeks from breast feeding... My belly is gone and I feel great! There is light at the end of the tunnel. You are on the best forum to talk to mom's too! The women here are a great help and offer a ton of support!