Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm never going to sleep again--Help!

Default I'm never going to sleep again--Help!

My Ang is almost 21 mos. He still wakes up at least twice in the night to bf. At least. Usually more. He ends up in bed with us and does the normal thrashing about. I work all day and he doesn't take a bottle any more. I figure that he doesn't have me all day, he should get to bf during the night. But I feel we're all suffering from lack of sleep. Drs say that I'm out of luck because his crib is in my room (we have a 1br apt) and still nursing.

Any advice? Thanks!

Default Re: I'm never going to sleep again--Help!

You're not out of luck! What, the docs think if the kid isn't shut away in his own room, parents don't ever sleep? Look at more than half the world where the family bed is the norm -- they aren't entire societies of sleep-deprived parents.

Do you want to night-wean, or do you want to find ways to get better sleep around the night-nursing?

Either way, there are things you can do to improve this situation. Have you read Elizabeth Pantley's _The No-Cry Sleep Solution_? It is a breastfeeding-friendly, co-sleeping-friendly flexible method for gently reshaping your child's sleep associations. I had good results using some of her ideas when my son was 10 months old and nursing every 45 minutes at night and never napping more than 20 minutes at a time.

What if you took the crib away and put your son on a mattress on the floor instead -- say, a twin-sized mattress, something big enough for you to go to him, nurse him back down, and then go back to your own bed for more peaceful sleep?

--Rebecca

Thanks for your input! I will order this book today. It sounds made for us. I have to be more disciplined about putting him back in his crib. He used to sleep in his crib and wake for feedings and go back in w/o complaint. Now his 2 yr molars are coming in and his schedule is all disrupted. I love co-sleeping, but none of us are getting good sleep. Ang is too hot even in light pjs and my husband is getting kicked! If I can't get him back in the crib, I'll try the mattress on the floor.

Thanks again!

Oh, molars are really hard. I bet once they erupt, you'll have a completely different little boy in terms of sleeping and nursing. That's how it was with my son, anyway.

--Rebecca

We successfully transferred our two oldest from our bed and having a second mattress in our room. We eventually had our daughter's room as a "guest" room too. As she was older I could lie down with her and get her to sleep. Interestingly, with older siblings the little ones will sometimes want to sleep with them so I think that helped transition for my younger ones.

I have also heard some very successful stories using that book.

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    The No-Cry Sleep Solution_
    Who is the author of this book? So that I can order it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandypr
    Who is the author of this book? So that I can order it.
    Elizabeth Pantley.

Good luck!

--Rebecca

Hi, just to add my thought: Elizabeth Pantley has a second book, The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers, which as you might guess from the title, is aimed specifically at this age group. I just bought it and read it last week . . . haven't tried any of the author's suggestions yet but they seem reasonable.
    Good luck!
    Jill