Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eczema, food allergy, or what? please help!

Default eczema, food allergy, or what? please help!

Something is going on with my daughter, but I don't know what it is. I'm hoping to find help here. She is 6 months old.
    She has had a rash on her arms, shoulder blades, and now her legs. Everyone I know says it looks like eczema. I called her ped. and they said thats what it sounds like. I bought Eucerin cream yesterday and have been using that.
    All day yesterday, she kept pooping, three times during the day and once during the night. And these are major ones, all over her clothes! The 3rd one yesterday was a light greenish color.
    An hour after she woke up this morning she had another dirty diaper. I am worried about dehydration.
    Does this sound like a milk inbalance, or a food allergy.
    Her ped. said that foods I eat are processed and found in such a small quantity that they doubt its a food allergy.
    Shes maybe a tad fussy, but she acts fine, playing, smiling and laughing.
    What does this sound like to you?

Default Re: eczema, food allergy, or what? please help!

Maybe you should go and check out the allergy forum , a lot of us with Allergy babies posts there often. Just so you know eczema is a def sign of some sort of allergy. Have you eaten anything new? New washing powder? She is 6 months, has she had any solids? Vitamins for either of you? Any family history of eczema or allergies? How are her wet diapers? Sorry for so many questions but I need these to be able to help you!

Thanks for responding!! I hope I answer all your questions, because I'm started to get scared and need help.

Just so you know eczema is a def sign of some sort of allergy.
    Her ped said its unlikely its a food allergy, as breastmilk is sooo concentrated with our food. I didn't believe her, as I've heard others say this isnt so.

Have you eaten anything new? New washing powder?
    I haven't eaten anything new lately, although, I have had hazelnuts alot. I have since cut back on those. And I've been using Dreft since day one.

She is 6 months, has she had any solids?
    No solids yet, and frankly, I'm hesitant to start them now!

Any family history of eczema or allergies?
    My husband had it, but I don't think his was that bad.

Vitamins for either of you?
    No vitamins, used to take my prenatals, but that stopped months ago.

How are her wet diapers?
    She woke up soaked. I usually don't change her at night until shes poopy.
    Is 5 poopies in a 24 hour period normal? Can she get dehydrated?

If rash is eczema, it might be a food allergy. (Dry weather can worsen it as well.) You could always ask doc to take a look and if you are concerned.

Food allergies can run in family or if family has a history of allergies, baby can have food allergies.

Breastfeeding is the best way to reduce risk of food allergies or if child does have them lessen severity of it. (For instance, you might delay introducing foods or certain types with baby.) I would think you could check main site

Personally, I discovered eczema on the arms of my 1st. Did some research and discovered dairy (I was eating) might be coming through breastmilk. Cut dairy - rash went away. It can take 2-3 weeks to get dairy out of your system. I had forgotten this until my 4th started to have food reactions. She didn't have symptoms until food introduced. Hives and then eczema. If you suspect food allergies, you could try a food elimination and see how she does.

Babies can react to things mom eats, even if it's processed or whole foods, if they are sensitive to it.

RE: Dehydration - check FAQ, I saw a list about how to tell if baby is dehydrated.

Thanks Mama5!
    There is a history of celiac disease on my husbands side.
    And I do have a glass of milk for b-fast everyday.

Oh great, she just did ANOTHER poopy diaper while I was typing this!

It sounds like a virus to me, actually. Chances are if she has a sensitivity to milk proteins it would've shown up a long time ago.

All of my children suffer from eczema and we are able to keep it under control by bathing them everyday and then immediately patting them dry and applying a lotion such as Curel or Eucerin. Occasionally my daughter get's it really bad behind her knees, on her hands and in the crooks of her elbows and that requires a medication but otherwise, we do alright in keeping it under control.

I hope this passes quickly!

Default Re: eczema, food allergy, or what? please help! Update with Ped, please help!

Ok, I just got off the phone with her Ped.
    They said there is a very bad stomach virus going around and said to have her drink pedialyte for 6 hours, with a SIPPY CUP!!
    My daughter has had nothing but breast, and has refused a bottle.
    I am not to nurse her for those 6 hours.....how in the world am I going to do that?????
    Her Ped said they encourage breastfed babies to switch to a sippy cup when they are 6 months old to get other fluids in them.
    I AM NOT THRILLED WITH THE ADVICE GIVEN
    Does this sound right???
    They have never been so "unbreastfeeding" before!

Default Re: eczema, food allergy, or what? please help! Update with Ped, please help!

I'm sorry that your pediatrician gave you that advice. The very best thing you can do is to nurse your baby! It's often suggested that babies refrain from being given cow's milk when they've got a fever or a virus. However, your milk is not a diary product. Nursing should continue when baby is sick. To withhold breastmilk/nursing is not only insensitive to the baby who doesn't feel well but it also deprives baby of important elements that will help her get better faster!

This isn't a LLL-approved source but I think it's got great information:

Breastmilk vs. Pedialyte

My baby is sick - should I continue to breastfeed?

Sorry to rush off -- time to take my son to school!

Thanks for the links Carol.
    My instinct tells me to just keep on nursing.
    I may change Peds, as the nurse there was baffled that I haven't given her anything but breastmilk so far.
    I tuned her out after hearing that comment..