Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When did you get/notice oversupply/OALD?

Default When did you get/notice oversupply/OALD?

I suspected Malachi had reflux from the day he was born. But I tried everything to explain it away I so wanted him not to have it. Plus I thought I was crazy since he didn't spit up excessivly (he was but he was swallowing it back down). Thanks to ladies on the forum I found out I wasn't crazy cut some stuff out of my diet, which helped with the fussiness and gas and took him to the doctor earlier this week for meds, which helped with the congestion, wheezing, hiccups and he started sleeping through the night.
    But now he has started arching his back and coughing and choking at the breast! And just minutes ago he came off the breast and a stream of milk shot out!
    My breast have been engorged in the mornings due to him starting to sleep though the night (and by through the night I mean in bed around 9:30 - 10:30 awakes around 4-6 for a quick feed and back to sleep for 2-3 hours sleep.) But they have been engorged all day today, after each feeding. He's been sleeping through the night for almost a week.

Could I develop an oversupply at around 6-7 weeks? Or is it just due to him sleeping through the night?

When did you notice your oversupply/OALD??

Default Re: When did you get/notice oversupply/OALD?

I noticed mine in the first couple months...however, your oversupply could definately be due to your lo sleeping more durnig the night. The same thing happened to me. I used to pump in the am to freeze extra milk and get rid of the engourgement...but the past 2 or 3 wks. I have gotten lazy and enjoying my long nights of sleep and no longer pump. I am also no longer engourged throughout the day. If you're not pumping and just let your lo BF on demand your body with catch up eventually. Or should I say slow down.

I never noticed any problems through the whole time I breastfeed my daughter. I assumed the milk just did shoot like that if she let go. I never had even a tiy problem feeding her so I never suspected anything.
    I suspected my son may have refluex when he was a few weeks old and then he started pulling off at letdown and coughing and spluttering like he was chooking or had swallowed to much. So I did some research online and found out about oversupply/OALD and all the symptoms fitted. At first I would just get ready for him pulling of and catch the spray in a muslin untill he waas ready to carry on. My letdown has a very strong feeling so it was easy to be ready. then I read that feeding from one breast twice in a row can help so tried that and now he doesn't let go at all. He's now 7 1/2 weeks old

don't know if I didn't have it with my daughter or maybe she could just cope with it better

I thought that engorgement was normal throughout first six months untill I went to a BF clinic about latching problems when LO was about 2 months and soaked the entire office. I was told I had a more milk than needed and OALD. I was given things to do (Feed from one breast only etc.) and it seemed to help my production issues the day before I was going to start taking meds to lessen my supply (at the time I had never heard of donating milk).

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ephram&Malachi View Post
    I suspected Malachi had reflux from the day he was born. But I tried everything to explain it away I so wanted him not to have it. Plus I thought I was crazy since he didn't spit up excessivly (he was but he was swallowing it back down). Thanks to ladies on the forum I found out I wasn't crazy cut some stuff out of my diet, which helped with the fussiness and gas and took him to the doctor earlier this week for meds, which helped with the congestion, wheezing, hiccups and he started sleeping through the night.
    But now he has started arching his back and coughing and choking at the breast! And just minutes ago he came off the breast and a stream of milk shot out!
    My breast have been engorged in the mornings due to him starting to sleep though the night (and by through the night I mean in bed around 9:30 - 10:30 awakes around 4-6 for a quick feed and back to sleep for 2-3 hours sleep.) But they have been engorged all day today, after each feeding. He's been sleeping through the night for almost a week.

Could I develop an oversupply at around 6-7 weeks? Or is it just due to him sleeping through the night?

When did you notice your oversupply/OALD??

What did you eliminate from your diet? My son was diagnosed with Silent Reflux, and I dealt with OALD (still am). After working on the OALD, he eats better. But he has painful gas and does get congested and the hiccups like you mentioned. What meds did your MD prescribe? What symptoms was your son exhibiting? I am just so torn as to whether I should medicate him, or just ride it out....
    Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 11th, 2007 at 12:36 PM.