Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue Therapy - Help Needed!!

Default Tongue Therapy - Help Needed!!

I have a 8 1/2 week old little girl, Eliza, who - while nursing - is not sticking her tongue out enough in order to grab more than just the tip. According to our pediatrician, she doesn't have any problems with her frenulum. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've seen two lactation consultants to try and help correct the problem, but both left me without any solution except finger-sucking. We've been trying and trying and I'm out of ideas. I've introduced a NUK pacifier, hoping that she would get practice sucking correctly, but that doesn't seem to be helping either. I have to return to work in less than 5 weeks and really want to enjoy my last few weeks of maternity leave AND nursing my baby before having to begin pumping and introducing a bottle.

PROBLEM: tongue not sticking out far enough and curling upward, rather than down towards the bottom lip. ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Default Re: Tongue Therapy - Help Needed!!

My son had a problem with sucking in the beginning also. The LC at the docs office gave me a breast shield for when I was nursing him. It pushes their tongue down and helps coordinate sucking.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

Thanks for the response! I tried two different types of nipple shields - Avent and Medela - , yet Eliza was able to suck my tissue through the holes at the end. Ouch!!! I felt that nursing without them felt better than being squeezed through a strainer. Did you experience any pain with the shields?

ouch that does sound painfull
    heres a link about the sheilds
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html
    they should be used with caution and under a good lc's direction..
    have you talked to your local lll leader?
    what's the babies weight gain been like?
    are your nipples sore?
    sometimes babies that are premies have a weak suck. Was your baby early?
    you can try breast compressions to help the baby get more milk at each feed
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

you might try less common breastfeeding postions were gravity will help bring down the babies tounge modified football hold...
    theres some pics at this link that might help baby get more breast and less nipplehttp://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul01p51.html

you might get a second oppion on the tounge tie if you doctor doesn't know much about it. Some doctors don't!

a leader could offer some more info also for local doctors and theripast that might be able to help.
    good luck...