Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids

Question Starting Solids

Just wanted to know if anyone had any good resources they used when starting foods, what cues do you look for from the baby? I am a first time mom and when the time comes I want to do it the right way.

Thanks

Default Re: Starting Solids

THIS WEBSITE!
    If you go out to the front they have an entire section devoted to FAQs about 1st foods LLL reccomends as well as the signs to look for and what age is reccommended. (Not before 6months) HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Baby books are a good place to look also. What to Expect has a nice section on introoducing solids and what foods are good to premere with.

The Dr. Sears website has a great list of foods and This site explains baby-led solids and has some great pics.

if you're not into baby=led solids you can always make your iwn baby food. Wait til the 6 mo mark though. The web-site I love is www.wholesomebabyfood.com It's very user frendly. I'm a first time mom too so making things easy is a plus for me. HTH

I like this quote from LLL:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

You don't need to worry too much about what foods you start on what schedule. In fact, you should stay flexible and watch how well your baby accepts new foods. A good schedule allows four to seven days between introductions of each new food. Some parents prefer to start with a bit of mashed banana. Some prefer warm cooked cereal. A few like to begin with mashed bits of sweet potato or avocado

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

and heres the
    The American Academy of Pediatrics policy (many doctors will give you other advice)

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/100/6/1035

"Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth. Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula. Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired.