Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating frequency

Red face Eating frequency

My son is 10 weeks old. How often should he be eating? He sleeps 8 hours a night. Our schedule now is 7:30 am, 11:15 am, 3:00 am, 7:15 pm and 10:30 pm. Occasionally if he is fussy, I will feed him at 5:30pm. Ever since he has started the 8 hour sleeping. I have been getting clogged ducts. Is this related to the decrease in feedings?

Default Re: Eating frequency

My dd is 5.5 mos old and still eating 12+ times per day, almost hourly when she is awake and she will sleep 3-4 hour stretches at night. Once when she was about 3 mos. old I counted and she ate 17x that day. I know every baby is different but perhaps 5-6 feedings is not enough for your ds and that is why you are getting the clogged ducts. Does your baby seem happy eating only 5-6 times per day?

Default Re: Eating frequency

He seems very happy. I should have started by saying-we were doing the co-sleeping and I was ready for him to be in his bed. He was nursing every 3 hours and alot of times, he would want to nurse to help him take poops. He had very explosive poops that would upset him and usually wake him. (This for some reason has all stopped since I put him in the crib) With the help of his physician, last week I put him in his crib. The first couple of days were hard. I feed him every 2-2.5 hours before I put him to bed at 8:00pm. The first couple of nights he woke up at 3:00 to eat. By the third night he was sleeping for 6 hours and by the fifth night, he was sleeping 8 hours. I know he is getting enough food because his weight gain has been appropriate.
    Since then he has been sleeping through the night, takes naps during the day (which he NEVER napped longer than 30 minutes before) and he seems to be a much happier baby.
    When he nurses, he usually stays at the breast for a total of 40 minutes. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But I am concerned he is not eating enough. He lets me know when he is hungry, which is usually every 3.5-4 hours. I believe in feeding him whenever he is hungy!!