Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for encouragement

Default Looking for encouragement

I posted this under Newborn Challenges and then I saw this Increasing Your Milk category, so I am posting it here too.

MY DS is 1 month old. At his 2 week appointment he did not make it back to birth weight. I had wondered if I had enough milk prior to that appoinment. He nursed long periods of time, but always seemed hungry after. After working w/a LC, I was put on Reglan. I feel like I have noticed some increase from that. I also am pumping right after a feeding for at least 10 min. (Double pump--Medela). I worked w/another LC and she put me on Fenugreek 2 days ago. I am still pumping and putting DS to breast. I can maintain enough EBM for him to not have formula, but he is taking the EBM by a bottle...about 3 ounces after nursing. I am working on a better latch for him, which is what both LC think is the cause. He is my 3rd child, and I was able to BF the other 2 kids.

I am seeking some positive experiences from people who have successfully turned around the milk supply. I am wondering how long it took you? I feel like I have been BF, Bottle supplementing and pumping. Yes, it looks like I have enough milk. When will my DS be able to get all that milk at the breast? How much longer will I need to pump and supplment?

Trying to stay positive...
    Last edited by abunner; January 6th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.

Default Re: Looking for encouragement

You really do sound like you are positive. Good for you. Many moms here have had successes and should be able to share some insight.

Did the LCs say why they think ds has a poor latch? Did they give you any exercises to try with him? What exactly do they have you doing to improve latch?

They think he was too low on the nipple and even though it was not hurting me (I seem to have "great nipples" for nursing) he was not Deep and Wide. So, I have been working on getting him deep and wide. I can tell a big difference in his nursing. Now, if he is too low, he moves himself up on the nipple. Unless he is tired and they he is fine to hang how and just suck. ALso, they showed me how to use the bottle correctly. Making him be deep and wide on that too.

I am now not pumping very much and am scared I am going backwards. I have been at this about 2 weeks and am tired. I need someone to tell me it will turn around. I need some postive stories to keep me going. I do not want to give up nursing. But, this nursing then a bottle then pumping takes too long and is getting very old very fast.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a few days. How have things been going for you and ds? Any better?

I am doing okay...very discouraged though. I started using the supplementor ande that is going okay. I just wish someone could tell me it will turn around and he'll be nursing great soon. I personally am a little blue.

Hello,
    Just wanted to give a word of encouragement and tell that it gets better. As your LO grows his latch will get better and stronger. You are doing great!
    In the begining my dd was falling asleep at the breast after sucking for 2-3 minutes, just one feeding alone took hour and 1/2 and then I had to pump and supplement with a bottle because she would still be hungry. Some babies are just not very efficient in getting out the milk in the begining and need help. and my LO was one of them. I think she got much better at that around 6 weeks.
    You just do it one day at a time and remember that you are doing the best for your LO.
    Hugs

We also had difficulties in the beginning. My daughter regained birth weight at 3 weeks and this was the time limit that my pediatrician had given. The first six weeks she was spending hours at the breast and never seemed content for more that some minutes. She was hardly napping and she was crying a lot.

Looking back then at those early days, I believe that the problem started from the hospital, when she was taking formula because of jaundice and she had a very poor latch. She was trying really hard to get the milk out of the breast, and I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

At 6 weeks she showed a big difference. She was still nursing a lot, but in between she was happy and not crying. Since then, things improved a lot and now we are a very happy nursing couple. I believe that she got stronger and started to nurse effectively at around 2.5 months. Now, she prefers the breast from the bottle, it is faster.

I would suggest you to offer the breast more and reduce the bottle feeding, until your baby learns to bf effectively. This can take few weeks and bf sessions can be very long (for me it was 1.5-2 hours), but in the long run, it is worthwile. As pp said, some babies need more time to nurse effectively and 6 weeks is a milestone for most babies, when they get stronger and nurse better.

Good luck and trust yourself that you can do it.