Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on many levels

Default Need help on many levels

I have read just about all there is out there on breastfeeding and talked with 2 lactation nurses as well. My son is now 2 weeks old and I am still having issues with breasfeeding. He did not have a good suck in the hospital according to one lactation nurse there, and I am not sure if that has improved to this date. I try to breasfeed him everyday and have to endure more than 10 minutes of pain due to the fact that he bites more than he sucks. Eventually I can no longer take the pain and have to feed him from a bottle. I am concerned now that he has nipple confusion as well as the biting issue going on. I have tried different positions and make sure that he is latched on properly, but even the lactation nurse said that he likes to bite more than suck from what she saw. The latest thing that he seems to do as well is spit up when he is fed from the breast but not so much if he is fed from the bottle. This seems a little backwards to me as well but I am now at a loss for trying to figure out what to do at this point. I want to keep breastfeeding him but fear that he will not get enough due to the fact that I can 1) either not stand the pain from previous feedings, 2) that he will spit up all that he has taken in from the breast or 3) that I will not be able to maintain an ample supply from just pumping alone. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears at this point.

Default Re: Need help on many levels

you poor thing!! what do the lactation consultants recommend for you to do? if you do not have broken skin ( i am not sure if they can be used on broken skin) there are breast soothers that are sold at most stores called Soothies that are incredible. i had many problems in the beginning, i was bruised and sore and i feel that the soothies relieved my pain enough to help me carry on. before using them i would have tears running down my eyes as my lo latched on because the pain was so intense. if you use them, i recommend putting them in the freezer for a few hours before applying them. good luck to you and your lo.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    At two weeks I am sure you are probably tired and worried, from the sounds of your post you are. I am wondering if you have tried to contact your local La Leche League Leader? You might find it helpful to get some in person support; thats what its about. Also you could nurse in front of her and see if she can give you some pointers.
    Have you investigated wether your bb is tongue tied? When they nurse they can end up taking alot of air which may explain the large amounts of spit up...
    Check here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tonguetie.html
    hope that helps

The biting you are feeling could also be because of tongue tie. (I have WAY too much experience with that!) My favorite link off the kellymom site mentioned isn't working, so I thought I would go ahead and post it. http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/8-27%20Newsletter.pdf This has color pictures that are good.

Hi Ruzsan! Congrats on your new little one! You're not only recovering from childbirth, but are in pain and worried about your son getting the nutrition he needs. You want to nurse, but it's painful and that makes it hard to enjoy and keep going.

Do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?
    How is your son's weight gain?
    How many wet/ poopie diapers in a day?
    Do you hear any clicking sounds as he nurses?
    Does he have difficulty staying on your breast?
    Is your son able to stick out his tongu past his bottom lip, and if so, is it curled downward?
    How do your nipples look after a feeding?
    When does the pain occur?

I know it's a lot of questions. I'm sorry! I'm thinking there may be a couple reasons for the issues you are having, and would like to narrow things down.

You also said you are concerned about nipple confusion. Some moms find that by using other methods of supplementing (syringe, cup, dropper, finger feeding) and avoid all artificial nipples, this eliminates the concern of nipple confusion and also encourages the baby to learn to suck properly when he is returned to the breast. Normally, it would be recommended that all sucking is done at the breast, but if you feel that is too painful (understandably so!) then perhaps these other methods of feeding might help until you can get your son back to the breast.

I'll keep checking back for your responses so we can figure this out!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Thank you all so far for the replies. I did pick up some soothing gel pads today hopefully that will help some. Thanks for the tip.
    In response to carpentergirl - I have sat in front of a visiting nurse and she made the comment that he likes to bite. Of which she only recommended that if I can break the suction and try again until he gets the idea to suck and not bite..... this however does not work. She also suggested trying different positions. The spitting up thing I noticed only occurs when he seems to take in more than his usual amount. I have decided that he is just overfeeding at this point because it does not happen all the time but seems to happen more when he is super fussy.

As for your questions fezzik812..... here are the answers:
    How is your son's weight gain? At the 2 week checkup the doctor said he was gaining weight well. Born at 7lbs 12.4 oz and was at 8lbs 2.1 oz at 2 weeks.
    How many wet/ poopie diapers in a day? heh the question is how many outifts does he change. Seriously he has about 14-16 diaper changes in a day with about 8-10 of them being poopie/wet mix.
    Do you hear any clicking sounds as he nurses? no I have not heard anything like this.
    Does he have difficulty staying on your breast? All the time. He usually latches on and then pulls his head back far enough that either he unlatches or I have to break the suction (due to pain). This is a common thing that I have noticed more so in the last couple of days than anything. He does this routine with a bottle nipple as well.
    Is your son able to stick out his tongue past his bottom lip, and if so, is it curled downward? Honestly I have not seen him stick his tongue out all the way.
    How do your nipples look after a feeding? Well that would depend on if he has decided they were chewing gum or not heh, when he actually sucks they are round and don't hurt but more often than not they are ovalish, sore, and burning.
    When does the pain occur? Pain occurs after he takes a few swallows because by then he has either pulled back on the nipple or started to bite. Also when he is super fussy (usually between the hours of 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.) he seems to bite more.

Hi Again! I'm glad to hear your lo is gaining well and has plenty of wet and poop diapers. This is great.

I'm thinking some of your issues may cause from one of two things.

First, as pp mentioned, there is the possibility of tongue tie. A short frenulum may make it impossible for the baby to extend his tongue past his bottom gum or lip. In some babies the frenulum extends to the center of the tip of the tongue, pulling it in, which causes the tongue to look heart shaped at rest or while extended. Have you noticed anything like this? Has anyone checked for tongue tie? In come cases, in order for the baby to bf effectively, it may be necessary to have the frenulum clipped by a health care professional to release the tongue. Other babies with a short tongue outgrow the problem in 4-6 weeks.

Another, lesser, possibility is that rarely a baby may be born with a strong tendency to clench his jaws whenever anything touches the inside of his mouth. This can be due to overactive muscle tone (hypertonic baby). I recently discussed the signs of this on another thread. See my posts here http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=13630&page=2 describing it. I'm not sure that this necessarily fits your case, but it is something worth exploring and ruling out.

When do you see your doctor again? Perhaps he/ she could rule out tongue tie. In the mean time, perhaps a local LLL leader or a different consultant (IBCLC) could look at what is going on first hand. It doesn't sound like you are satisfied with the assistance the previous LC gave you.

Regardless, I commend you on being tenacious about seeking out help. Keep up the good work, mama!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

It's really so hard in the beginning! Is there a nursing group at your hospital? I found it very helpful, even when I wasn't having problems. But I remember the pain well. It was excrutiating for sure, but it will pass. I know that's easy for me to say at 11months, but it does. I used ice cubes before nursing or IB or Tylenol 15 min before nursing. I also used a lot of grin and bear it and I saw an LC too. (You'd have thought that after a natural childbirth and a 9lb baby in compound presentation that I could handle some pain, but I really found the nursing so much harder! I remember dreading it in those first weeks. And eventually, it got better. I'm not sure if I learned how to watch for a better latch or whether my nipples toughened up or some combination of both, but it really did.

Hang in there! You must be tired and overwhelmed, but you really will figure it all out!

You have gotten some great advice, so all I will say is that we are really pulling for you and are here for support. Hope things improve soon. We were really didn't get the hang of things until about week 8. Keep up the great work. It's so... worth it to work through your problems.

I hate to say it but nurses don't know everything, and a responce of "he likes to bite" just isn't cutting it!
    I would contact someone else for their opinion of what your bb is doing and why.