Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

I have asked questions before about my son who is gaining weight really slow. He was three months old ( on the 6th) and is just 10lbs 11oz. He gained only five ounces in 16 days. He weighed 8lbs 8oz. at birth.
    He does not sleep well at all...only 20 min. here and there until the evening when he is exhausted and has a three hour sretch every know and then. He sleeps in the sling during the day,..and the carseat when we are out, cosleeps at night time. I worry that he isn't sleeping well because he is not begin fed enough. He latches on well, sucks fine, but never falls off the breast asleep or full. I don't know what to do anymore. At the bf support group I attend all the babies his age are 15-16 lbs. I am almost embarrased to go and have him weighed. What would you do? I am worried he is just getting enough to stay hydrated but not enough to grow...what about brain development?
    *sigh* bf is hard work...emotionally.
    Denise

Default Re: What would you do?

How often is he feeding? How many wet and dirty diapers per 24 hrs? Is he growing in length and head circumference? Is he meeting his milestones?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie
    How often is he feeding? How many wet and dirty diapers per 24 hrs? Is he growing in length and head circumference? Is he meeting his milestones?
    He feeds every hour to two hours, but like I said he would remain at the breast all day and cries when I unlatch him. After a few moments of distratcttion he is okay for awhile but then will show signs of being hungry again. He has 5-6 wet diapers a day...has poopy ones every three to four days. He has grown 2 1/2 inches in length and his head circumference has grown. He is smiling and reaching for objects, hold his head up and is alert. He does not make mny sounds yet, at least not often.
    He is chewing a lot though...he chews VERY hard on my thumb. Almost makes me suspect he could be teething. My first child did not teethe until almost a year old.

Today has been awful! I am so ready to quit bf'ing. The formula was calling out to me as I shopped today with my cranky toddler and crying baby. Why is he not content...he acts as if I haven't fed him at all moments after a 40 minute feeding.
    I am drinking nursing mothers tea, taking alfalfa and red raspberry herbal supplements as well as a good multi vitamin. Perhaps I just don't make enough for him to be satsified and gain weight!!! I know 4-6 oz. a week is the average but 5 ounces in 15 days is not enough. He looks so tiny compared to other 3 month olds.
    HELP!

don't give up! nurse, nurse, nurse! this time will pass, at least your little one is gaining. a friend of mine had her 4 mo old LOSE weight! maybe this child is just different from your other one and needs more time with you/on the breast. they say that kids who appear more "needy" tend to grow up and be more sensitive and creative
    hang in there
    remember formula has cows milk in it, which is for baby cows, not baby humans
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

What has your dr said ? My youngest dd has had the slowest weight gain of my 3 dc , and she was born the biggest at 9lbs, but at her 4 month check up was only 13lbs6oz - but my dr was still satisfied and said she was fine - but I know how it is to worry that your baby isn't gaining enough - and to wonder if formula would help... I'm still ebf my dd , but I do wonder at times why she's smaller than my other 2 were at this age considering her birthweight.
    Hang in there, from your posts it sounds like you are doing everything you can do - and I know its not easy when you also have a toddler running around the house

Pam ~ Mommy to Lauren 5 yrs
    Matthew 2 1/2 yrs
    Emma 4 1/2 months

Silver,
    Is there an IBCLC that can see you...perhaps at the bfing clinic?

The IBCLC in our area is soooo extremely busy she generally only takes phone calls and the help over the phone has been minimal. She only works three half days a week. My doctor is concerned that he is below the 5th percnetile line on the growth chart when he started out at like 75%ile. She wants me to montior his gain each week and consider supplementing if it stays poor.

Dear Silver,
    It sounds really complicated. 1st thing (I think) would be to see that IBCLC, no matter how busy she is. You are the mother she wants to see, the one who really needs help and the one who really wants to breastfeed.
    2nd thing, would be to have your baby checked by a pediatrician just to rule out any health problems in your baby and in you. Eat well. Rest. Visualise your milk flowing and your baby gaining. There are so many suggestions to make, but really someone highly competent in breastfeeding needs to see your baby at your breast. Phone your local LLL Leader - fast!
    Beth B.
    Mom of 2

Ask to see her right away! Explain the situation. This is IMPORTANT.

Ditto on the suggestion to call your local Leader.