Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vetrans - do tell . . .how do you do it????

Default Re: Vetrans - do tell . . .how do you do it????

Hi Dianna,

Ditto to all the others thoughts.... nursing is not easy, especially in the beginning. I never got a 3 hour stretch of sleep, that's actually pretty good. REST whenever you can. And don't listen to any moms who haven't nursed or to one's that claim their children sleep through the night. It'll only make you question everything.

A fabulous book... which is very easy to read for a sleep deprived mom is Dr. SEars "Nighttime Parenting." It reassured me on those nights when I thought I was loosing it. Also, LLLI's "The womanly art of breastfeeding." Both books helped me keep focus and confident that I was indeed doing a wonderful thing for my child. You will adjust, it takes time.

Stay in touch here. We all understand.
    In spirit

My advice: Try, try, try again until you can nurse lying down. If this is your first baby and he nurses an hour each time, then you can have a hour of reading every time he feeds! My first baby fed every two hours for half an hour, and for me than meant four hours every day lying in bed reading! I had the time of my life, until she got to that age (can't remember when it was) when she wanted to see what I was doing behind her back!

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Nursing laying down took us a long time to master as well.... Honestly, it took me months and months... It just never felt comfortable, and then one day it did.

It does get easier and it does get better.

One day at a time.

Jacqui

You will get into a good routine and it just becomes easy and normal. Everyone gave great advice about co-sleeping. My baby didn't like co-sleeping too much, but it gave me some down time where I knew she would get what she wanted and I can just lay there and nap.

The early weeks/months are tough, but I promise if you hang in there, the reward is sweet. I've bf both my boys, the first for 4 months. I regretted weaning him so early. We had supply issues and I reached for that supplemental bottle of formula too easily and had a hard time once I did that. With baby #2, I was firm in my decision to ebf from day 1. Lucas would nurse every 1 - 1 1/2 hours for the first 4 months! At first these sessions were 45 minutes long but got shorter as the months wore on. By the time he was 4 months old, he was nursing for 10-15 minutes so the frequency wasn't so much an issue. By the time he was 6 months old, he was on 3 meals of solids a day and could stretch his nursing sessions (now 5-10 minutes long) to 2 - 3 hours. He's currently 9 months old and still nurses frequently, about 7 times a day. There are times where I'm on the couch nursing him and by the time I get relaxed and comfy, he is done! But, he still nurses to sleep and for comfort and I'm visiting this board because I don't think either one of us will be ready to wean at a year!

We've co-slept from the second day home from the hospital when I realized he would nurse to sleep (never took a pacifier, even though we tried). But, I got up to nurse him at night for the first 3 months. Before that, he didn't nurse long enough to get in a good feeding. Now, he goes to bed in his crib between 7-8 pm and I bring him into bed with us when he wakes up around 4-5 am to nurse and then he falls back asleep (until his big brother comes in and wakes us up) ; )

Hang in there! If you are determined, it WILL get easier. Promise!

Brenda
    Andrew 1/2/04
    Lucas 6/29/05

I initially thought I would only bf for 6 months as well, but as all of the pp have said, it gets so much easier over time. I now couldn't even imagine what I would do if I hadn't bf my dd. I didn't start co-sleeping with her until about 11 1/2 months. So, I had many months of wakeful nights as well. When we started co-sleeping, it was like a fog lifted and I was so glad. We did get a larger bed to accomodate her which really helped. I didn't have any trouble getting her to latch on laying down etc., but she was older and of course bigger than yours.

11 weeks is so early in your bf relationship. It gets easier and easier as everyone has said and you should give yourself a pat on the back for getting as far as you have. Keep toughing it out and good luck! It is SO worth it!
    Anna
    Loving wife of Marc Alan since 08/21/93
    Mom of Genevieve Rae, professional breastfeeder since 12/21/04

Smile Re: Vetrans - do tell . . .how do you do it????

Thanks so much to all of you. Living in an easy come easy go town like Vegas, it is hard to find women who have taken the more challenging road. Everyone thought I was insane for delivering Nicholas naturally, as well as being stitched w/o any pain meds (nothing for the stitching wasn't my choice, they just actually listened when I clearly stated I didn't want them to coerce me or allow me to give in to any meds), and then choosing to bf. I only have one friend who bf for more that six weeks and almost everyone else is an advocate of formula. SO! I appreciate the support and motivational posts all throughout this site. We also had weight gain issues and were instructed to supplement 1 oz of formula after each feeding for a while, so I guess I just keep becoming tempted to just whimp out and go to the bottle. However, the grandparents have been visiting (why it took so long to thank everyone) and some much needed help has gotten me over one more of the many humps I will need to get over in the following months!

It seems as though I am on the right track. I have been doing everything that has been suggested, so-sleeping, soft music, napping, etc. I have found a position to nursing on my side - allbeit nothing like the books say, but it is working! I have even taken him out of the co-sleeper and feed in my sleep! What a surprise when I awake He is still cluster feeding about three or four times in a row in the mornings, and doesn't go longer that three or four hours in between feedings, at three months, but I guess I can still hope! I just remind myself the sooner he sleeps longer will represent how quickly he's growing up My guy is now just 13 weeks and is lifting his head and latching on all on his own, which is progress! We een have established a routine w/in the last week or so of feeding, bathing, lotion and reading. He falls asleep much later that I would like, but the routine is working and that is rewarding regardless of the hour!

Now, I just need to figure out how to continue to nurse once I return to work. I will not be able to pump during my eight hour shift and that worries me about my supply. So, we shall see!

Thanks again to all who responded! The support is greatly appreciated!