Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still won't use bottle or sippy cup at 13 months

Default still won't use bottle or sippy cup at 13 months

I have been exclusively b/f my 13 month old daughter since birth. She began daycare 6 months ago (just a couple of days a week), I still have had no success in getting her to use a cup of any description. Have tried no end of sippy cups/bottles/ordinary cups etc etc. She refuses expressed b/m, water, formula, juice and so on! Have given her cups to play with in the bath, but she refuses to even allow them on her highchair...they get thrown across the room!! She refuses to drink anything at daycare, waiting until I get home. She will happily go for long stretches without nursing during the day, but nurses extra at night to make up. Has anyone else come up against this. Not really wanting to wean yet, but would love her to have the odd cup of drink to ease the pressure...

Default Re: still won't use bottle or sippy cup at 13 months

Have you tried soy milk? I have come across several babies now that will drink soy milk but refuse cows' milk, juice and water. It's worth a try!

thanks for the suggestion- will give soy milk a try.

I used to work in a daycare center for the seven years prior to my oldest being born.

So I have a few questions.
    How long of a day is your baby in childcare?
    How many care providers and other babies in the class?
    Is this a care center or a private home?

Where I worked I was in charge of the infant room and we had 10 babies under 15 months to 3 adults and a fourth adult came in around lunchtime to help for about an hour or so.

So my baby needs me right now, but the thing that came to mind is 7 months seems a long time to not get adjusted to "other care"

I will get back to this later when I can but a few other questions that come to mind are
    does she eat foods there willingly?
    Have the care givers changed over recently?
    Are there other children drinking from cups there?
    Do you have one of those spill proof cups? because notall children can learn how to use those.
    Two of my children were completely unable to learn how to use a cup with a spill top.
    I used to have to pull out the plug and let the cup have the cover but it would spill were it to be thrown or dumped.

Anyways....she's needing me.

My son, now 21 mos gave up bottles (breast milk or cow's) at about 15 months, after tapering off starting at 13 mos. It was summertime and we were beside ourselves trying to make sure he got enough fluids during the day. We discovered he would drink water out of a regular (say Poland Spring) bottle of water with a sport cap on it. I think this is because he saw us drinking from these. He would also drink anything from my glass. He would have NOTHING to do with a sippy cup until about 18mos, when his independence was strenghtened by them. He is now "over" them and wants a regular cup. He still very rarely will drink juice. It's mostly water during the day (with cow's milk at lunch) until I get home and then it's Mama, Mama and more Mama! Good luck!