Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn not gaining weight

Default Newborn not gaining weight

My daughter is 10 days old. We took her in yesterday for a checkup, since she was jaundiced. She weighed 7lb, 9oz at birth, was down to 6lb, 12oz when we left the hospital on day 3. Yesterday, she weighed only 6lb, 15oz. Dr. was concerned, but did not say we had to supplement yet. He wants to see her next week though for another weight check.
    I saw the LC at the hospital a couple times, she and all the nurses said everything looked good--no nipple problems, good latch, good suck and swallow. She eats every 2-3 hours, occasionally a little longer at night, but never more than 3 1/2 - 4hrs. We nurse as long as she wants to, usually 10-20 min one side, I burp her, then same side another 10-20 minutes, then change diaper and switch sides for another 10-20 minutes or until she's done. She has at least 6-8 wet diapers a day, very pale urine, and poops a couple times a day, very soft, which has been brown, but is turning 'baby poop yellow' the last couple days.
    So everything looks OK by the book, but she's not gaining. Any ideas? I'm scared I'll have to supplement, and that was the end of my nursing before with my son. What can I do?

Default Re: Newborn not gaining weight

Hang in there - as you said, everything is by the book at this stage, and everything looks great! When my LO was born, he was 6lbs 14 oz. When we left the hospital, he was 6lbs 5oz, and on day 10, he was 6lbs 6oz - he had only gained an ounce back! I just kept doing what I was doing and didn't supplement, and then boy oh boy did he grow! Hang in there, it won't be long before your LO flourishes. Give it a few more day. When my LO was not gaining I took him to the Dr's every day to be weighed on the same scale. If for nothing else than my own piece of mind. I was amazed at how quickly he started to grow! I'm sure it won't be long until your LO does too.

The diaper output sounds fine, which is an excellent sign that your baby is getting enough milk from you to grow and thrive. Sometimes babies take a little longer to turn the corner with their initial newborn weight loss. So it is possible that your baby continued to lose a few ounces after leaving the hospital, and then began to gain weight but from a lower "starting point" that was not documented by a weight check.

The poops becoming yellow only in the past couple days seems consistent with this guess of mine. We more typically see the poops fully changed to "breastfed yellow" by day 5 or 6, rather than day 7 or 8. For whatever reason, your daughter may have needed just a couple extra days to get all systems go with breastmilk intake. Your doctor's advice to wait and watch closely, with another weight check scheduled for a week from now, sounds like a good plan to me, provided you continue to nurse on cue, that your daughter feeds at least 8-12 times per 24-hour-period and that her diaper output remains good (at least 5-6 wet disposable diapers and 2-3 dirty diapers per 24-hour-period.)

If, a week from now, she has not gained at least 4-6 ounces, then we can talk about steps you can take to encourage faster weight gain. But there are many things to try within the breastfeeding relationship before supplementing with formula would become necessary, so please don't worry yet that you will have to give formula bottles and introduce the risks that go with that measure.

If you want to make changes now, you could try nursing more frequently, trying for 12 feedings a day rather than the lower end of the range at 8-10 feedings per day. You could also try switching breasts more frequently during each feeding. But to be honest, I think it sounds as if you and your baby are nicely in sync with each other and doing well at this point, so it is probably fine to just keep on as you have been doing for the next week and then re-evaluate after that weight check.

Please let us know your thoughts on these suggestions, and keep us posted!

I mentione this in another thread. Have you tried pumpin out the majority of your milk and letting your LO empty the breast? LO will get all of the hindmilk then. I know that helped my LO.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Rebecca View Post
    So it is possible that your baby continued to lose a few ounces after leaving the hospital, and then began to gain weight but from a lower "starting point" that was not documented by a weight check.

The poops becoming yellow only in the past couple days seems consistent with this guess of mine. We more typically see the poops fully changed to "breastfed yellow" by day 5 or 6, rather than day 7 or 8.
    That is good to hear. I definitely thought the poop thing was weird. It also took her a while to start pooping, no meconium until day 3, then she went several times, and after we got home it was another 2 days until she went again. Now she has gone consistently 2-3 times a day for the last 3 or 4 days. She also has a little jaundice, which I thought might have something to do with it?? We didn't have to come home on lights, but we are putting her in the sunshine everyday to help bring it down.
    She ate like a little piggy yesterday, actually for about 2 hours straight one time! Thought my nips weren't gonna make it! She's eating more frequently today too so far, so I'm sure that will help.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Tammy in MO

Update--Took her in today for a weight check, she gained 6oz in 7 days! She did a lot of cluster feeding this weekend, so that must have upped my supply.
    Tammy in MO

Excellent news! Thank you for sharing such an encouraging update with us. Way To Grow little one!! And Good Job Momma!