Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I've made a terrible breastfeeding mistake by supplementing!

Default Re: I think I've made a terrible breastfeeding mistake by supplementing!

thank you so much for the advice. I'll check out that information on kellymom.com.

Default Re: I think I've made a terrible breastfeeding mistake by supplementing!

Hey ixoyedd!!! All of the pp's gave great suggestions, I really can't add anything since they all did such a great job.

On a different note, considering that you have Isaiah quoted as your signature, I think I understand part of your user name IXOYE...but what's the dd? I was in a Christian bookstore on Friday and this same subject came up with the customer ahead of me, and so your user name really stuck out to me.

Before I was married my name was Denea D. It's just my initials, but since marrying, my last name is now G. I learned the ixoye when I was still in high school and heard the story of how it came to be, but I minored in Greek during college so I learned even more of it's meaning, etc. It's kind of a neat story! I'm glad you recognized it. Not many people do :-)
    Last edited by LLLKate; January 6th, 2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: privacy!

By the way, everyone uses abbreviations and I'm not familiar with any of them. I've figured a few of them out, but the others are a mystery to me. It leaves gaps when I'm reading other people's posts...is there somewhere on this site where I can learn these, or could someone give me a brief explanation of the main ones? Thanks!

Hi Denea,
    I wanted to let you know that I edited out your full name(s). In the interest of privacy and safety, we suggest that moms not share their full names on the boards. We just can never be too careful these days!

Also, if you look here
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

you will find the list of abbreviations that people use.

Hope you are enjoying being a part of our community!
    Last edited by LLLKate; January 6th, 2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add link

Hi there! I just want to say, I am in the same boat that you are, (with the exception of some added nursing problems) and I've enjoyed reading this thread for advice. If you find that some of the techniques work better than others for you, I'd love to know what worked best...

Channy,
    All the advice I've gotten has been wonderful! I've been letting my baby breast feed when he gets hungry, even if I don't think I have any milk and then afterwards I supplement with just enough milk to make him happy. I have also been drinking plenty of water and load up on it right before I go to bed. My baby has been sleeping about 11 to 12 hours every night and once I go to bed I NEVER wake up unless I have to. I tried setting an alarm halfway through the night to wake up and pump, but would end up snoozing until my alarm would turn itself off and then would never get up to pump. I've found that drinking a lot of water right before I go to bed not only hydrates me, but makes me wake up about 4 hours later with the need to empty my bladder and that's an alarm clock I just can't ignore! When I get up I pump and then go back to bed. I have also been pumping between feedings as well. All of these things have helped me tremendously and I am now using about half as much formula as before. I hope to soon be exclusively breast feeding again soon. It just takes a little work... I really thought it was a losing battle since I had started formula feeding, but it looks like it wasn't as bad of a situation as I thought it was! I hope this helps you!

Quote Originally Posted by ixoyedd View Post
    Channy,
    All the advice I've gotten has been wonderful! I've been letting my baby breast feed when he gets hungry, even if I don't think I have any milk and then afterwards I supplement with just enough milk to make him happy. I have also been drinking plenty of water and load up on it right before I go to bed. My baby has been sleeping about 11 to 12 hours every night and once I go to bed I NEVER wake up unless I have to. I tried setting an alarm halfway through the night to wake up and pump, but would end up snoozing until my alarm would turn itself off and then would never get up to pump. I've found that drinking a lot of water right before I go to bed not only hydrates me, but makes me wake up about 4 hours later with the need to empty my bladder and that's an alarm clock I just can't ignore! When I get up I pump and then go back to bed. I have also been pumping between feedings as well. All of these things have helped me tremendously and I am now using about half as much formula as before. I hope to soon be exclusively breast feeding again soon. It just takes a little work... I really thought it was a losing battle since I had started formula feeding, but it looks like it wasn't as bad of a situation as I thought it was! I hope this helps you!
    That's great news! Good luck, I am doing a little better too! I am trying to pump in between feedings but I have more questions that need a new thread! Hope things continue to get better for you!

For the first 3 weeks I gave my baby formula and bfed too and everything was allright.

My baby will be 5 month old next sunday, I pump 3 times a day but recently the amount of milk I get is smaller. I'm getting 3-4oz from both breast each time, before the holidays i used to get 6.

I nurse my baby in the morning at 6am for 40 minutes, pump for 20 minutes and get 4-5 oz, then, at work I pump at 11 for 30 minutes and get 4oz, Nurse my baby at 1p.m. for 40 minutes, pump at work at 4:30 p.m. and get 3oz, and nurse my baby at 6:30p.m., 10pm and 3am, all for 30 minutes.

I'm concerned becaused my baby in the morning (while i'm at work) drinks 2 bottles of 6oz each, and in the afternoon (between 3 and 6) drinks 2 bottles of 6oz each, and I'm not getting that amount when I pump.

I need to know if this is normal, and what to do to improve the amount of milk. Sometimes I think is my pump. please, I need help because I want to nurse my baby at least until his 6 month

That's the problem I started having. I wasn't getting as much milk and my baby was eating more so I started supplementing with formula. I think the best solution I have found (and it really does work) is to pump more often. Even if it's just for 5 min. each breast, pumping more often will help wo produce more. Also, from the advice I have gotten from my original post, I let my baby nurse (even when there is no milk), which increases my supply and gives me quality time with my baby. This is what I have done. It's a slow process, but after 5 days of being very consistent I really think you'll notice an increase in your milk. Plus, 10 min. every hour or perhaps couple of hours is more feesible while at work.
    **If you're getting milk out when you pump, I don't think there is a problem with the pump. It's just that doing it more often will increase the supply. I have also found that I can get more milk out if I press my breast (while pumping) to one side and leave it and then press it to the other side (or up and down). I can usually get at least 1 more oz. out doing it that way.