Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having a life...............and still breast feeding?!

Default Re: Having a life...............and still breast feeding?!

It wasn't the NIP that got to me when DD was that age, it was the length and frequency of feedings. We were basically nursing one hour on, one hour off and that will crimp anyone's style.

You can try to see if the baby will nurse in a sling. At least that way, you can get out and still nurse. Otherwise, it seems like after the first 6 weeks or so, things settle down a little bit and it gets easier. I stayed pretty close to home for the first two months. Now, I can predict life a little easier, so we can get out more.

I would agree with the PP that up until 4-6 weeks it's tough to get out because of how long baby nurses. After that things are a bit more predictable and the length of the nursing is starting to shorten up and become predictable as well.

My DH has been deployed the entire lifetime of my LO, so I don't have anyone to sit with my LO to venture out alone. So he went everywhere with me. I too was shy at first of nursing in public, so I nursed A LOT in my car, and even more in the dressing rooms (the handicapped rooms have benches) of various stores. (Upscale department stores often have a mother's room, and that is WAY nice.) When my LO was 7 weeks old I spent 5 hours at the mall reoutfitting myself to go back to work, as I hadn't dropped back into my pre-pregnancy clothes just yet. My LO loved being in the stroller, then we would nurse in a dressing room, then change on the bench and be on our merry way.

To get used to the idea of NIP, I started with a very friendly environment, at a gathering of my friends. Then I graduated to nursing at the movie theater (where it is dark and people are distracted by the movie). Then eventually I moved on to baseball games, 5K walks (nursing in a sling), and even a funeral (Catholic ceremony and military honors, just way too long for the little guy!)

Try a short outing and see how it goes. Trust me, you'd be amazed where you can take a bitty baby!

hi! I thought I'd share how I do it. I keep the car seat in the car ready to go, so instead of having to strap him in, in the house I do it after I've loaded up the car. I tend to waddle and bang it on the door on the way out, or I'm forgetting something or another and it ends up making it feel harder than it needs to be. Ditto What Shelly said about keep a diaper bag in the car, exept I usually have ten diapers in case I don't make it back right away.
    I nursed in the car at first, and I would call it a day if i made it to the grocery store or maybe one other stop. For me, once i actually am sitting in my car and ready to go the rest is easy.

well i bought a hooter hider and that made it sooo much easier since i was less self consious!

what is a hooter hider??

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    I've dealt with OALD, too, and I found that if I have a cloth diaper in hand, I can generally keep things under control. He usually just get a shot in the face and it doesn't get everywhere that way.
    That's what I use, even at home. It doesn't always work to well in public when I have to quickly get the towel between her mouth and my nipple, then she screams while the spray continues... Not to mention, sometimes she just lets it slide out of her mouth, which usually causes it to point upwards and I get shot in the face with my own milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Valladee View Post
    well i bought a hooter hider and that made it sooo much easier since i was less self consious!

what is a hooter hider??
    its kinda like an apron but not ugly or that long!! my dh thinks its funky! http://www.bebeaulait.com/
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    I just try to remind myself that however long I breastfeed her for, it will only be a very small amount of time in my lifetime, and once it's over, I have the rest of my life to do the things I want to do with more ease.
    That's how I feel, too. Don't get me wrong, I go out and about... but I rarely NIP because I have never bothered to get the hang of it. And if it's not something I really, really want to attend, I don't go. So I miss a couple parties. BFD. DD is only a baby once, she'll be off and running before I know it.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

I just try to remind myself that however long I breastfeed her for, it will only be a very small amount of time in my lifetime, and once it's over, I have the rest of my life to do the things I want to do with more ease.
    I second or rather third that because I don't really think you are talking about NIP. You are talking about leaving the baby, right? It's such a short amount of time that your lo is a baby, just try to enjoy it and don't worry about getting out.

As far as NIP goes, I have a BusyBabyNursingWrap. The last I checked, their site was down but I got mine on ebay. It has been the best investment. I absolutely love it and have Moms come up to me and ask where I got everytime I am at the mall. It would be easy to make one too. The neck is wide and you can very discreetly nurse in it. I wear DD in the sling with that over her and can walk through wherever. I hate to see moms nursing in the public toilet...YUCK.

The site was/is www.busybabynursingwrap.com.

Sorry it's still not working. I guess I will have to take over making them if I am going to recommend them.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; January 7th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
    DD is only a baby once, she'll be off and running before I know it.
    Right, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    It's such a short amount of time that your lo is a baby, just try to enjoy it and don't worry about getting out.
    Yep, that's my point!

I never went far from home either, at least for the first 6 months. I only felt safe if I was in mall with a restroom lounge (Macy's usually has a good one). I'd nurse in the car most of the time, although this was only good during the spring through fall months.

Personally, I just never felt comfortable nursing in public. However, I've known other moms who use slings and are so discreet, you wouldn't even know what they were doing!