Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having a life...............and still breast feeding?!

Unhappy Having a life...............and still breast feeding?!

Hiya All,

This is probably going to sound selfish, but how can you breastfed and have a life as well?

I feel like I am stuck in the house (apart from school runs) and I can't seem to pluck up courage to go out. There is so much I want to do..............

I had Tyler on 13th Dec (also have 1 yr old, 3 yr old and 5 yr old). I didn't expect to BF Tyler as I failed the previous times. I just took everyday as it came with Tyler and I am shocked that its worked out so well!! I am pleased, really pleased. I just can't see myself going out - with or with out Tyler. I want to go back to Weight Watchers and the Gym but how can I??? Every night he is such a cling on - last night he was feeding for 3 hrs on and off, swapping sides and when we went to bed he was still wanting more, Its like he feeds so well and then he just comforts and when I put him down - he cries. I try and keep him on on side as long as I can so he gets the hind milk, I am just so paranoid he isn't getting enough. I can't go out because I can't feed my own baby in public because of society, which annoys me so much. I wish I could do it, I want to but I just don't feel confiedent. I need to get out but how!? I am finding it so hard at the moment, espec at night.

How do you do it?!

Getting Down, Nat

Default Re: Having a life...............and still breast feeding?!

its just about time for a growth spurt for your baby. It does get beter as they get older... can you take him to they gym with you?
    When my babies were realy little I didn't go anyplace where I couldn't take them.
    I just wanted to let you know that adding the 4th for me was way harder then the others. I don't know why.. they are 17,10,5,3 now..
    haveing 4 under 5 is lots of work, you have to give yourself more points...
    just keeping under 5's alive is work.
    Do you have a sling? That helps with nip.. you can pull the fabric up around the baby and nobody even knows whats going on....

The first time I nursed in public where there were actually other people around I was sitting 4 feet from a very scary ENT. (My husband nick named him Dr. Frankenstein.) Anyway, my son was crying, we were trying to talk to the dr. and I didn't have a choice, so I nursed him. And you know what? I could nurse him anywhere after that. I think the first time or two it just takes some guts, then you figure out that you aren't exposed very long and people generally look away if they see you messing with your bra/shirt getting ready to nurse. It also gets easier when your lo gets better at latching on. For your sanity, try some 15 to 45 minute outings when your dh can watch your lo.

I was so worried about NIP too - so I practiced at home with my DH. I would try and see if I could nurse without him seeing any nipple or boob - before long I got it - and I have big, indiscreet boobs. If I can do it, anyone can! As for getting out and about while nursing, it's near impossible to plan or schedule anything at that age. As the PP said, you should plan on taking your LO with you and NIP. Using a blanket to cover up helps a lot too. Scrambled thoughts sorry - LO is starting to fuss...

It wasn't until LO was 6wo that we really ventured out to NIP.

There are lots of ways to go out with your LO, and NIP, but I still don't either. It does drive me absolutely nuts. I always know that if go out, in an emergency, I could nurse in the car. I don't like to try to NIP, not because of discretion but simply because I have OALD and if DD let go, which she usually does, I'd be spraying milk everywhere, on her, myself, the person across from me most likely, and all over whatever I was sitting on/in front of. It's just not worth it to me to not have that situation under control... it's too much of a hassle.

I just try to remind myself that however long I breastfeed her for, it will only be a very small amount of time in my lifetime, and once it's over, I have the rest of my life to do the things I want to do with more ease.

i feel you on the no life comments!! I've learnt to just take dd with me... i didnt like to at first, I was always worried she'd cry and want to eat but i was too shy to feed her in public!! Well after the first couple months of hiding at home I figured it was time to venture out (why did i spend all that money on cute baby clothes to keep her all locked up in the house )
    well i bought a hooter hider and that made it sooo much easier since i was less self consious!

not much advice but wanted you to know that i felt the exact same way! Good Luck!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

I felt that way too at first- and with just one baby! It will get better and you will be able to do things for you and leave the house. Keep taking it one day at a time.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

My Riley was born 10/30 and this was my first, so I'm new to this too. My mother was really supportive when it came to my choice, and she gave me lots of pointers. I first NIP when Riley was 2 weeks. We went to one of DH's hockey games, and found a discreet corner. We had a really big blanket that helped.

We also just recently flew and I had to get really comfortable with nip really quick! Used a blanket here too. By this time LO could latch on without my having to guide him. My DH was more uncomfortable than I was!

I know it's hard, but you can do it!

Jessie

It sounds like the 3 week growth spurt! Don't worry your baby is getting enough! And you have several options as far as getting out go! Honestly it's soo MUCH easier not having to pack and carry bottles! You can literally take the baby and go of need be! I keep a diaper bag packed in the car because we seldom use anything in it. It has two clean diapers, a changing pad,wipes and one change of clothes. That's it. It's changes a little over the years. When he was small I paced spit up rags, when he was teething I carried extra drool bibs. When you 1st go out, you don't have to nurse in front of every one. You can excuse yourself and and use the bathroom or Mother's Lounge depending on where you are and if your visiting at some elses' house, you can just excuse yourself and use another room.

Honestly We didn't start leaving the house regularly until about 6weeks. Before that if I wanted to go somewhere, I had someone come and help me. And 1st it was once a week. Then twice.. really now that he's a year I try to get out 3-4 x a week with him but find if I do more than that I am really yearing to just get back in the house and stay there! So take it slow and KNOW you don't have to NIP until you are ready. But you CAN take the baby anywhere. Me and this Kid, we were on the circuit this summer. They go anywhere, you are available to them all the time and when they are this young they will nap in the car! It couldn't be a better set up for a new mom! Good Luck!

Way too lazy for formula

I don't like to try to NIP, not because of discretion but simply because I have OALD and if DD let go, which she usually does, I'd be spraying milk everywhere, on her, myself, the person across from me most likely, and all over whatever I was sitting on/in front of. It's just not worth it to me to not have that situation under control... it's too much of a hassle.
    I've dealt with OALD, too, and I found that if I have a cloth diaper in hand, I can generally keep things under control. He usually just get a shot in the face and it doesn't get everywhere that way.