Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 month well baby check - uncirumsized question...

Default Re: 2 month well baby check - uncirumsized question...

I would go to the nocirc.org website and print out some of the info they offer, and next time you go in for a checkup hand them to her and ask her to read them. She shouldn't get offended by you educating her a little unless she believes she knows everything already. Of course maybe she thinks she does Good luck!

Good idea - the retraction brochure would be perfect. Perhaps I could put it in the mail to her, anonymously. It would be obvious who sent it though, as there are only 6 newborns in town, and 4 of them are girls.

What a wise and wonderful choice you made not circumcizing your son, Rochelleann! I appreciate that you left him in tact for him to decide! No one should ever retract your sons foreskin except him, and both the mothering forum that Eme mentioned above and the Nocirc website will be wonderful resources for you in the future. Retracting can actually increase the risk for infection in the future. As you will find out, an intact penis actually requires very little extra care, and is most certainly not "dirty" as this society has (and continues to) misled people to believe. If your son has not had problems with infection, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I'm not an extremist - just couldn't bear the thought of them cutting him when he was so tiny and fragile - and after such a tough delivery! Do you think that by the nurse pulling it down, it is now retracted? Is there a chance she didn't break the membrane? Is there any way I can check it - I am so P*S*ED that this happened!

Anti circumcision websites are no more extreme than pro breastfeeding sites are. Although I'm sure a lot of people think LLL is extreme. It all depends on your views.

One way to gracefully handle the situation is to ask your doctor about it. Simply say the nurse retracted the foreskin and you were under the impression that this was not a recommended practice. Ask him for literature to the contrary, and if he (or she, my ped. is a he, so I am using the masculine pronoun here) agrees with you, ask him to inform his nurse. And at the next check when she goes for the diaper just matter-of-factly say you do not wish for her to check the foreskin, and leave it at that.

Aside, don't fret too much. You cannot change what she did and you must now focus on the future.