Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 month well baby check - uncirumsized question...

Question 2 month well baby check - uncirumsized question...

During the well-baby check we attended yesterday, the nurse pulled back his foreskin quite a bit to check whether it as seperated or not. I was horrified and quickly jumped up to ask what she was doing. She said it was okay but that I should never do it at home. Is it okay that she did this? I was of the impression that you should NEVER try and pull the foreskin back on uncircumsized babies????

I always have to check these things....Alaska bush medicine and all.

Default Re: 2 month well baby check - uncirumsized question...

That seems weird to me too, but I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert on foreskins.
    To be honest.. I've only ever seen one!

I would have jumped up too!

I had a nurse do this to my son when they were trying to put a catheter in. It looked awful and painful! I was so worried he was going to get an infection afterwards, but he didn't. So, I'm not sure if we were just lucky or what? I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it (everything I've read says to never do it), but it didn't seem to hurt my little guy when it happened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
    That seems weird to me too, but I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert on foreskins.
    To be honest.. I've only ever seen one!
    Me too! LOL - and a very tiny one at that!

well from what I have gathered is that is not supposed to be done - but I have zero experience with that. sorry -

here's a link to a forum (within mothering.com) that deals with just that issue.. the registration to this webforum is free...just like here.
    Last edited by Number3; January 5th, 2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: sp.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My son is not circumsized and I know they didn't do that to him. Everything I have read says not to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    my son was just circumsized yesterday at 17 months, he had problems on and off his whole life. And I can tell you it was very very dirty in there,

Although they say not to clean it, you need to keep a very close eye for reddness and swelling. And it can get dirty.

They use to pull it back, not sure why they stopped to be honest
    I think they now wait for it to pull back naturally - forcing it can damage it. How is your LO doing today? What a traumatic experience for you both!

The foreskin should never be forcibly retracted. This can be painful and damaging. It is normal for dead skin cells to build up under the foreskin. These slowly and constantly work their way out of the opening. Once the foreskin can be retracted it is easy to wash the glans. In fact, washing an intact penis is no more difficult or time consuming then washing a girls genitals.(all the nooks and crannies) If you want more info. go to nocirc.org They have a lot of info on proper care of an intact penis. Hope this helps.

In fact, washing an intact penis is no more difficult or time consuming then washing a girls genitals.(all the nooks and crannies)
    oh man! you just reminded me of the glorious days of having a girl!! Yay for my boys.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by lionsheart View Post
    The foreskin should never be forcibly retracted. This can be painful and damaging. It is normal for dead skin cells to build up under the foreskin. These slowly and constantly work their way out of the opening. Once the foreskin can be retracted it is easy to wash the glans. In fact, washing an intact penis is no more difficult or time consuming then washing a girls genitals.(all the nooks and crannies) If you want more info. go to nocirc.org They have a lot of info on proper care of an intact penis. Hope this helps.
    That is great information! How can I tactfully pass this on to our local health nurse without offending her? (I live in a small town, and she is also my neighbour, and works in the same building as my husband, and we see her out and about all the time - get the picture?).