Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch-on questions - noises okay?

Default Latch-on questions - noises okay?

Hi everyone -

I've posted before with a few problems I was having, and I attended a LLL meeting at the beginning of this week and a lot of those problems are - well, if not taken care of, at least sort of on their way to clearing up, I guess.

However, we're struggling to get a good latch-on, and after having it evaluated by LLL leaders I thought I was getting somewhere. Since then though it's been a sometimes kind of thing, she sometimes gets it and sometimes it's a lost cause. My main question is, when she has the right amount of the areola in her mouth, should there be any noise when she sucks? It's not a clicking noise, it's more like a sort of squeaky sound. It eventually goes away, but she makes that noise every time we get a latch-on that is not painful, and I've been afraid that the noise means she's not latched on properly.

Our other problem right now is that all of a sudden today she's decided she needs to nurse constantly - but when she gets on the breast she doesn't actually want to eat much, just hang out with her eyes open and her mouth on my nipple. Sometimes she'll even spit the nipple back out. But when I tried to put her down she wailed her head off. I think I got her to take a nap for longer than 15 minutes, maybe twice this morning... When she did nurse, she gave up much more quickly than normal. This kid drives me crazy sometimes.

Default Re: Latch-on questions - noises okay?

The only really important criteria for a good latch is that it is comfortable for mom and it is getting enough milk out of the breast and into the baby.

So if the squeaky sound isn't accompanied by pain for you, and if your daughter is making plenty of diapers and growing well, then the squeaky sound probably isn't a problem that needs fixing.

It can be frustrating when your baby is constantly cuing to nurse but not doing much when she actually gets to the breast. Maybe she just needed to be close to you a lot today? Hang in there!

--Rebecca

I am having the same probelm with my 3 week old wailing and then I'll put her on my breast and nothing. She'll kind of lick and comfort suck for a bit and then either stop completely and just look around or fall asleep. When she falls asleep, I'll go to put her in her crib and bam..the wailing (and sucking on her fingers) starts. It only happens from around 6pm to 10pm. I've been concerned that maybe she isn't getting anything at the breast during these times- that maybe I have a low milk supply and she wants to eat but can't but I don't know. Does anyone know why they may want to nurse all day but then just hang out there?

Also, if she is just sucking and not nursing properly at the same time everyday, could my milk begin to decrease? how long does it take to decrease?

Thanks!

My daughter's the same age, 3 weeks. Obviously I can't offer an answer as to why they're just hanging out, but I do know that infants typically get fussy and want to nurse more in the evening hours - from 6 pm to midnight, usually. My girl's generally wanting to be fed constantly between 6 or 7 pm until 10 or 11. It is possible she's hungry, but when she gets there she's more interested in cuddling and comfort sucking now that she has the chance? Maybe she wants to make the time stretch out longer.

I can't offer much advice as to how much she's getting, because I had the same problems and the same worries. If you nurse her as much as she likes, it should increase your supply rather than decrease it; that wasn't working for me but that's because I can only nurse on one side, and I'm following a plan to supplement and hopefully stimulate my supply. If you're worried about how much she's getting, definitely have her weighed; doing so gave me a much better idea of how she was doing. Babies tend to cluster feed in the evenings whether they're getting enough or not, from the stories I've heard. Hope that helps some.

Even non-nutritive sucking stimulates milk production. If baby is doing all her sucking at your breast and getting no supplements, then your supply will keep up with her demand.

I agree with pp about evening cluster feeding and comfort sucking. It isn't always about the calories -- nursing is such a powerful soothing thing, and I think young babies by the end of a day are often overstimulated and just kind of ragged out from a hard day's work of growing and being in the world, KWIM? They feel better at the breast, that's all.

Oh, and don't forget there's a growth spurt around 3 weeks. So her frequent nursing is nature's way of making sure she'll have all the milk she needs tomorrow.

--Rebecca

All three of my children had the "evening fussies" as I call it. It's totally normal and I would guess that the majority of babies go through it. For my kids, I think it's just that the evening is so different during the day. It's quieter, we have more of a routine. When daddy gets home, there's dinner, the kids are loud, activity starts. It's just different and the babies are learning how to handle it.

As far as wanting to be at your breast and then not wanting to suck, I would say she just needs mommy. It's comforting to be at mommy's breast and feel close and snuggly warm. If she nurses, fine, if not and she just wants to lie there and enjoy being in your arms and "comfort suck", so be it. Your baby needs to be in your arms where she feels safe as she's learning to adapt to this new world she's in. I know it's hard to hold them all the time like that and it's tiring at times. My daughter is now 4 months old and I can tell you that she has benefited from being in my arms a lot (or in a sling). She is more secure, goes to sleep easier, and is soooo very happy. Keep up the good work, you're a great mom!

I have a two year old boy and 6 month old girl who both did the same thing in the evenings. They both stopped the "I wanna nurse constantly" about 4 to 5 months (yes I know that seem forever away, but hang in there) and began noticing how they could interact with the world around them. Now my dd is what I call a "distracto baby", every little noise and flicker of a light and he lets go, looks around, then relatches. I have even fashioned a sort of baby blindfold/ear cover to help keep her from getting distracted (nursing in a quiet dim room is not an option for me). She also make weird noise when she nurses, it starts as nasal piggy noises, grows into slurpy noises then becomes a squeak after she swallows, I talked to a LC who even got to witness this, and she said so long as the latch doesn't hurt me and she is growing it is fine.
    Hang in there, the wanting your nipple in mouth always will pass.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)