Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping 6 hours - too early??

Default Sleeping 6 hours - too early??

Hello!

My seven week old son has so far been thriving - he went from 6 pounds 14 ounces at birth to 10 pounds 7 ounces at his four week check-up. Until recently, he had at least 4 dirty diapers a day and more than that wet.

BF for me has been challenging, but not tremendously. I started out with oversupply and OALD issues, but in the past week the oversupply issues have diminished. I am no longer painfully engorged after three hours.

What I'm worried about it this. My son can now sleep for at least six hours at night - he doesn't always, but it has happened a number of times now. Is sleeping this long okay?? I don't even have bad engorgement after a six hour sleep, and now I'm worried that I'm sabotaging my milk supply and/or not nourishing my baby as much as he needs. Yesterday, he might have had eight feedings. However, with changing the diaper at least twice, getting up for a bathroom break or to get a snack, getting up to burp him, some of these feeding sessions can stretch to two hours or even a little more.

Am I doing something wrong? He doesn't seem to have any physical signs of dehydration, but I'm worried that this could change at any moment.

Thanks for any input!
    Millie

Default Re: Sleeping 6 hours - too early??

My daughter does this too. Mind you, she's only two and a half weeks. I've been waking her up every 3 hours because she is not gaining weight fast enough, but I think that if your son is thriving it should be fine.
    If you're worried about it, I'd suggest waking him in between just to be on the safe side, or seeing what your family doctor has to say about it.

It sounds like you're doing a great job!!

heres a link that talks about if you baby is getting the milk they need.
    4 wet diapars are a little bit low.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Once mother's milk comes in, usually on the third or fourth day, the baby should begin to have 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 wet disposable diapers) per day. (An easy way to feel the weight of a wet disposable diaper is to pour 2-4 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper.)

In addition, most young babies will have at least two to five bowel movements every 24 hours for the first several months, although some babies will switch to less frequent but large bowel movements at about 6 weeks.

most moms find they have a ballancing of supply at about 6-8 weeks.
    heres one about growth spurts
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    heres a link that talks about if you baby is getting the milk they need.
    4 wet diapars are a little bit low.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Once mother's milk comes in, usually on the third or fourth day, the baby should begin to have 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 wet disposable diapers) per day. (An easy way to feel the weight of a wet disposable diaper is to pour 2-4 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper.)

In addition, most young babies will have at least two to five bowel movements every 24 hours for the first several months, although some babies will switch to less frequent but large bowel movements at about 6 weeks.

most moms find they have a ballancing of supply at about 6-8 weeks.
    heres one about growth spurts
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html
    She said he had four dirty diapers and more than that wet.

man I miss read that....
    I have big number problems...
    sorry.

My son is 12wo and was also 6lbs 14oz when born. Since about 8wo he has been sleeping for 7hoour stretches at night. At first I became engoged during these times, but now my body has become used to these long stretches and I rarely become engorged. It sounds like you and your baby are doing great. It's true what they say - never wake a sleeping baby! I used to wake every 3 hurs until I learned that this made DS fussier in the long run. Your baby is doing great, so stop worrying. If he is not getting enough milk, he will let you know and want to feed more, and your supply will increase accordingly. The human body is a remarkable thing! BTW - my son weighed in at 13lb 7oz yesterday!

Thanks for all of your input and encouragement/support! I know that I'm a worrier, but I'm also worried that if I don't ask about something when I'm worried, then I'll have real reason to worry! (groan) I just wish that I had a good scale to weigh my son before his next appointment on the 23rd of this month - I want to know now that he's gaining well! Oh well...

The other issue that I have now is that while he used to start his evening cluster feeding at around ten and end around midnight, last night he started around midnight and we finally got him to bed at around three! Thank goodness for a supportive husband.

Millie

Quote Originally Posted by mtansill View Post
    Thank goodness for a supportive husband.

Millie
    makes all the difference in the world, doesnt it!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

my lo was sleeping solidly through the night at 4 weeks. my baby's doctor was still telling me to wake her up every two hours, but i personally felt that a sleeping baby should not be waken up. she was a very large, healthy baby, and this long sleep did not affect her growth and weight gain. i also took advantage of this long sleep to pump off extra milk to be able to freeze. this resulted in a bit of an oversupply problem, but i was happy to have a safety net of frozen milk on hand. every baby is different, but for us, this long sleep did not cause any problems.