Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting new foods - a question

Default Starting new foods - a question

Can y'all clear this up for me? The infant teacher at dd's day care (who is a retired nurse) said that when starting a new food that you should feed lo nothing but that for a few days before trying another new food. I thought that that you could add new foods to her repetoire - she could start something new, continue eating the things she likes in addition to it, and if she had a reaction then the most likely culprit was the new food. This started because I sent her with peaches to mix with her oatmeal for breakfast (which she likes), and peas to try for the first time for lunch.

Default Re: Starting new foods - a question

I've never heard that before. You shouldn't start more than one food at a time, and you should give the same new food for 3-7 days in a row (depending on who you ask) to check for a reaction. However, there's no reason (that I've ever heard) not to keep feeding your baby foods that s/he's been OK with already. I suppose it is possible for a child to develop a reaction to a food he's already been OK with, but I don't think that's common enough for allergists to consider when they make recommendations regarding introducing new foods.

hmmm...good question. when i first started dd on solids at 5.5 months old, i did only feed one food at a time for a few days. for example, i gave her peas for about 3 days. then i gave her green beans for about 3 days...then carrots for a few days...then sweet potatoes for a few days...then squash for a few days. by this time however, i started to mix the foods - for example, i'd feed her some peas and carrots for lunch. BUT when i started to introduce fruits, i'd give those for breakfast for a few days with veggies for lunch. for example, i gave her pears for breakfast for a few days, but for lunch it was any of the veggies listed above. then i introduced apples for breakfast.

overall i think what you are doing is just fine. as long as you know what you're feeding your dd and what could be the culprit if she were to have an allergic reaction.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I think they were concerned that the combination of proteins and nutrients could cause a reaction. I've known people who could eat oranges and drink orange juice, but by god, if they ever had it with any other drink within the next couple of hours, they were sick as a dog.

To be safe, I would take the advice. It is what I have done. I wouldn't mix 2 foods together unless you are certain there isn't an allergic reaction to either of them.