Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling on a leader...for help with a wohm and extended bfing!

Default Re: Calling on a leader...for help with a wohm and extended bfing!

Hi,

Sorry to join in so late here, since I am also a wohm toddler BFing mom I figured I'd chime in. I stopped pumping at around 13 months, but BF during the day on weekends. My supply seems to have adjusted fine. (This is in response to your question to Molly.)

After I stopped pumping DS got water in his sippy cup at daycare since he is allergic to cows' milk. At that time he was gaining fine, but he got sick over the holidays and lost some weight. Now we are going to see if he likes soy so we can get him some more calories.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Thanks for staring this thread - I am a WOHM and my LO is not quite 6 months as I write this. Our goal is to make to at least a year breastfeeding and then see what we want to do next. I've appreciated being able to "read ahead" about the possible challenges in the coming months and how the bf relationship and patterns change.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I just really wish there was more information regarding working and extended breastfeeding.
    I don't want to hijack Erin's thread ... but after reading this it made me realize that I wish there were more information in general about working outside the home and all sorts of baby / child topics. I've been generally frustrated because it also seems like the sleep books and starting solid foods seem to assume that baby is home with a parent who can control naps and be there to see if there are any reactions to new foods. Sorry - back to the original topic
    Lynn

No worries about the hijack...I actually started this thread for everyone else as much as for me. And Lynn...you just got me up on my soapbox! This is my complaint, in general, about wohmothering. Dr. Sears was the first one to tick me off, and I rely very heavily upon his books and websites, but he makes it sound like it is virtually impossible to be an attached parent and work out of the home. Most AP websites lead us to believe that too. Although I do agree that it is important for baby to have complete access to food, at whatever time of day that he/she wants, and that food should be fed with love and cuddles, and that baby's needs should be responded to immediately, without question, I don't think it is important for mother to be the only one. It makes me feel guilty, because I know that I should be there, for me as much for her, but I really think that my dd is very well adjusted. She loves her sitter sooo much, and that feeling is very mutual. It is a wonderful relationship, and I am very fortunate. I just wish there was more information for working mothers in the way of AP. It seems that in general our society believes that if you work you can't AP, that if you work you can't breastfeed. Anyway...I wanna help those working mamas out there...maybe I will write a book!

I was really hoping a leader would offer some insight into how I might get something like this published in New Beginnings or on the website. A compilation, if you will!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Dr. Sears was the first one to tick me off, and I rely very heavily upon his books and websites, but he makes it sound like it is virtually impossible to be an attached parent and work out of the home.
    Exactly! My poor DH has to put up with me ranting on regular basis that since I'm not following 100% of the AP stuff does that make me a "detached parent"? (Which sounds like I'm bad and unnatural.) I actually really love my job because it is something that I find very meaningful and get grouchy when everything seems to be written assuming there's a SAHM or SAHD.
    Lynn

I was really hoping a leader would offer some insight into how I might get something like this published in New Beginnings or on the website. A compilation, if you will!
    I haven't had time to scout the all threads here but I thought we had a few that mentioned working and extended breastfeeding and the unique challenges that come up.
    I'm pretty sure there are some past articles and responses from New Beginnings about giving up pumping after one year. I'll try to find those.
    As for publishing in New Beginnings, this may help.
    We need your stories!

Mary

Oh, don't get me wrong. My experience has been wonderful...just different! And Molly...do you still breastfeed during the day on weekends when you are together? Just got to thinking that even if my supply at nights was maintained, will it be just on weekends when we are together? I think she will still want to nurse on the weekends, but what if there isn't milk then? This is just too confusing. And then Annie (P-T-M) emailed me some negatives on cow's milk that further confused me . Ohh...the joys of motherhood!
    Yes, Eva and I do BF during the day on weekends, although probably only one or two extra times. Usually, I nurse her before her naps on the weekends. My supply has been great, even when she was nursing a lot at night when teething and sick (I did recently have thrush, then mastitis-long story- but I don't think that was related and my supply was fine). Sometimes I'll need to pump on Monday afternoon after a weekend of nursing, but that's okay.
    Basically, I just BF her whenever we are together and it works out. If you decide to drop any of your daytime pumping sessions, you could try doing it little by little to make sure your supply is keeping up on the weekends.
    I don't know about the cow's milk negatives-where has Annie been lately anyway?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Here's some articles about pumping/not pumping for older babies.
    Hanging Up the "Horns"
    Weaning from the Pump
    Working Without Pumping
    Mary

Hi Erin,
    Congratulations, by the way, for plugging through your challenges and giving your dd this gift of nursing for so long. You've dealt with several obstacles and also coped with how your nursing "expectations" differed from your nursing "reality". These independent little ones do challenge us, don't they!
    Hopefully some of the articles above will help with some of the logistical questions about continuing to nurse without pumping. As for how long to nurse in general, that is between you and your dd. LLL simply states that ideally the nursing relationship will continue until the child outgrows the need. And there are different kinds of needs, nutritional, bonding, etc. It sounds like you are grappling with how to figure out what your dd needs now that she is one year and she's not a textbook "comfort nurser".
    I've heard from several mothers who found that nursing became less frequent around the one-year mark. Many wondered if their toddlers were initiating weaning. They can be so busy during this time of their life, exploring all around. There's not one right or easy answer here. Any amount of breastfeeding is beneficial. She does sound content nursing at night still. If it's important for you to continue, you could keep encouraging her as you are doing and see how it goes, following her cues as best you can.
    I hope this helps, Erin.
    Warmly,
    Mary

Mary...I appreciate those articles very much. And I sent my story to the address you listed above...if it isn't published its okay with me, but at least I tried, right?

And I do believe in child led weaning, but I am wondering at what point should I consider it a nursing strike and at what point should I consider it a desire to wean. I think this is something that dd and I are just going to have to figure out on our own. I will keep you all updates as we go, as I am sure you all know!

Thanks ladies, for the kind thoughts and words!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes