Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough mornings - any suggestions

Default Re: Rough mornings - any suggestions

Oh it is so much harder than I ever expected. I am lucky that my LO is at the University where I work so I can go visit her during the day and nurse sometimes. The problem we are running into is that she is a very impatient baby and when she wakes she wants milk right away (and lets everyone know it loudly). She has only been there a few days but they have not been able to call and let me know that she is awake and wants to feed so I can come over. I understand they have a room full of other kids so they really do not have the time to stop and call me (unless there is an emergency) but...
    When I try to just "time it right" to go down there when I think she may be ready to eat it turns out she is either asleep of just ate.
    Should I wake her even if she is sleeping peacefully? Unfortunately I can't just hang out and wait until she wakes.

Karin, I am sorry to hear you are still looking for someone. I am sure you will find a great person to watch your LO but I do understand that no one seems good enough. Our daycare is great but I still wish I was with her instead of someone else! Nanny camming the house is a great idea!

Hugs to all of you!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My DD is nearly 1.5 years and I had to go back to work when she was 14 weeks. It is really rough, but once you do settle on a routine, things will become easier.

Like PPs, I did absolutely everything I could the night before. Everything I couldn't do the night before, I did in the wee hours of the morning. My day started at 5 am and I'd pump then. Then I clean everything and pack the pump into the car so I wouldn't forget it (I work 50 minutes away and that would be a disaster!). Then I'd packed up her milk for the day. My clothes, her clothes would always be layed out the night before (a practice I still continue).

One benefit of getting up so early was I'd always have a little time for me--to fit in a quick workout or just to sip a cup of coffee (I'd set up the coffee maker the night before so all I'd have to do is hit the start button!) and watch the news. Believe it or not--I'd look forward to those early morning mommy moments.

Good luck and take it one day at a time. Time marches on and this too shall pass!

One thing that I did when I was working full time was to pack one big bag on Sunday night to take to the sitter. Then she just took out of it what she needed. It took me the same amount of time as packing nightly- but I only did it once each week. If you could do that it would save you prep time each night- and you'd just have a lighter bag each day! Also- post about taking her in PJ's or putting her to bed in her clothes is also a great idea. I never dressed my kids- they always went in PJ's and then got dressed at the sitter's house.

With nursing/pumping during the day- I would just do what feels right. If you have time and she wants to nurse in the morning- then nurse before you leave home, then maybe pump as soon as you can during the morning. Also, it sounds like going to see her during the day and finding her asleep may be stressing you out some. As much as you'd like to nurse her, maybe you'd actually be less stressed by just pumping instead, then you could maybe just at lunch and nurse if possible.

Most of all- a big to you. I really feel for what you're having to deal with. I was never where I could go to my baby during the day, so I had to just pump.

Mary,
    How is she doing? I called my neighbor today and basically begged her. I need help. Hope you DD is doing well...and you too.
    Karin
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Smile Re: Rough mornings - any suggestions

We are doing a little better. I am still a bit exhausted and I have not made it to the gym but once this week but it is getting better. My DH tried to take one feeding at night to help me out and I woke up in pain - completely engorged - my shirt and the bed was soaked. My breast make much more milk at night so I guess nursing is better than getting up to pump in the middle of the night.

I fell asleep nursing my LO at her daycare the Wednesday. The DCP put a blanket over me and my LO and propped firm pillows around us to make sure we did not tip over. I never even noticed and I slept about an hour before I woke to a different baby crying. Mine was still half way suckling.

My DH came home with labels (the removable kind) that we can put on the bottles. We preprinted up sheets with our LO's name and the day of the week so all we have to do it peel and stick them on the bottle and they are ready to go! If it is not used we peel the sticker off and put a new one on for the next day. I also use a sticker for the date that the milk was expressed.I also just got a second pump today so one can stay at work. I think the second pump will help because I feel like a pack animal caring my laptop, pump, diaper bag, and baby across campus to the daycare and office.

BTW, I got the second pump only because another poster told me that some insurance companies will cover part of the cost of one. I have BCBS and they covered it 100% so I got a Medels PIS Advance. I was using a borrowed Medela PIS (older model) that I borrowed from a friend and bought new parts for it. I also bought a second microwave steamer for my office to clean the parts so I do not even have to bring them home.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk